• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

A/C Imstall in Jamboree

Jambo#401

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
Okeechobee
State
Fl
My apologies if this has been covered already. I am thinking of installing an A/C system. I have a few questions if anyone has any experience in this area.

1. How good does it work with a soft top?
2. Installation (DIY or Pro Shop)?
3. A/C & Heat or A/C only? (I have factory heat now)
4. Recommendations on brand/seller?
5. Does it help or hurt value of jeep?

Thanks for your time

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
My apologies if this has been covered already. I am thinking of installing an A/C system. I have a few questions if anyone has any experience in this area.

1. How good does it work with a soft top?
2. Installation (DIY or Pro Shop)?
3. A/C & Heat or A/C only? (I have factory heat now)
4. Recommendations on brand/seller?
5. Does it help or hurt value of jeep?

Thanks for your time

I've done it twice now both using the Vintage air HVAC w/defrost' one in a 81 Scrambler and the other in a '83 Scrambler.Both were fairly easy to install and they were in dash mounts , under the dash mounts would be even easier yet but would loose the defroster. Both of mine have been on half cab and worked great. I personally don't see any reason to change now.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Do you want to keep OE look for originality or do you not car. I think this need to be first decesion. There is aftermarket for either way you want to go. I would go OE look if it where me.

Sent from my SM-J320P

Jambo#401

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
Okeechobee
State
Fl
I've done it twice now both using the Vintage air HVAC w/defrost' one in a 81 Scrambler and the other in a '83 Scrambler.Both were fairly easy to install and they were in dash mounts , under the dash mounts would be even easier yet but would loose the defroster. Both of mine have been on half cab and worked great. I personally don't see any reason to change now.

RZ:

I have not seen an in dash AC system. I have only seen under dash systems. Is "vintage air" the name of the company that sales the ac system?

Jambo#401

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
Okeechobee
State
Fl
Do you want to keep OE look for originality or do you not car. I think this need to be first decesion. There is aftermarket for either way you want to go. I would go OE look if it where me.

Sent from my SM-J320P

I want to try to stay OE as much as possible. Is OE having the heat/vent controls in the dash and the AC under the dash? What manufacturing company would you recommend?

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
On a Jambo I would stay stock.

www.jeepair.com has what you seek. Might be able to find it cheaper elsehwere.

Stock the heat and defrost were in the dash. The A/C unit bolts to the bottom of the dash. That means you can run your heat AND A/C at the same time if you were so inclined.

jambo152

Jamboree #0152
Lifetime Member
City
Austin
State
TX
I definitely would not install a non-OEM AC in a Jambo. I personally would not even install an OEM AC in a Jambo. Whether or not AC was available on the Jambo is a bit uncertain. It is clear that when AMC first defined the Jambo, AC was specifically excluded as a factory option. It was excluded because the underdash AC conflicted with the location of the ashtray. On non-Jambo CJs, Jeep relocated the ashtray to the dash, right where the Jambo badge is. They could not do this on the Jambo and thus eliminated AC. There is some evidence that AMC later allowed AC, but this is unclear. I will post info on this at www.82jambo.com in the coming moths.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
My '85 CJ-7 Renegadw with 60k on it and all stock has A/C and the factory underdash ashtray in still under the dash, to the left of the steering column. I believe it came from the factory there.

Sent from my SM-J320P

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
So would you rather have an ash tray or Air conditioner? I like the stock look as much as anyone but once you've changed the tires and/or added a lift you pretty much are no longer stock anyway. Here's how I did my in dash AC but you loose your radio and speaker space. For most people under dash probably is easier. My controls are in the stock location.

Attachments

• IMG_1233.jpg
    IMG_1233.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
So would you rather have an ash tray or Air conditioner? I like the stock look as much as anyone but once you've changed the tires and/or added a lift you pretty much are no longer stock anyway. Here's how I did my in dash AC but you loose your radio and speaker space. For most people under dash probably is easier. My controls are in the stock location.

I really like that install, Dennis! I just browsed your build thread to find out more about it, and bookmarked it. I can definitely see something similar in my future! :thumbsup:

Jambo#401

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
Okeechobee
State
Fl
Thanks all for the replys.. I dont have an ashtray now. Not sure if it deleted or not come factory, nor do I smoke. So, really not a big deal. I plan to go with an under dash mount AC only system. Thanks again!

HAARubicon

Basic User
City
Tyler
State
Tx
I believe what Eric was referring to is a matter of originality, not particularly the question of weather you smoke or not. He is correct that non AC CJ's had the ashtray mounted under the dash and AC Cj's had it mounted up high and to the right of the speedo cluster. My Jambo has the under dash, my AC Laredo has it mounted on the dash. It really comes down to how original you want to keep #401, its your Jeep.

The ash tray just screws to the bottom edge of the dash, so at some point it was probably removed, but it was there originally.

I vote for under dash AC if you really think you need it. Me, I live in East Texas and would not add AC to #180.