CJocho

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
CHICAGO
State
Il
All,
Not too long ago I bought an original a/c unit from a member on the forum. I bought it so I could add a/c to my stock 4cyl engine and thereby make the 8 more enjoyable to the wife and I. At the time, the member was also selling a radiator and I naively did not buy it. My questions are these:

1. Can I still use my stock radiator?
2. Is there a parts list on what I need to buy if I can still use my stock radiator?
3. If I cannot use my stock radiator, does anyone have the parts I need and are they willing to let go of them?
4. At what point will members of this forum get frustrated with me asking such novice questions?

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

b2esq

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Glen Allen
State
VA
I doubt anyone here will get frustrated by any question you ask -- as long as it's about CJ-8s :p

Yes, you can use your existing radiator. Yes, you may see an increase in temperature, but it's probably not going to be noticeable (not, say, like sticking a 8274 and mounting plate up front like I did...).

Anyway, as someone who just added AC to their own Scrambler this past summer, the best advice I can give you is to call JeepAir and be done with it. They have (and/or can get) anything and everything you need. There are no "new" factory/fit condensers for sale (and even if you found an original one you may not want to use it -- ymmv), and so you'll need to buy a universal condenser. Same with evaporator dryer. Everything else is available. I had a thread where I was asking my questions, and sharing my experience/frustration from this past summer on here somewhere. You may/may not find it useful.

Best of luck to you.
B2

Last edited:

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
b2esq got it right. I had started to piece together OEM A/C parts to install as well. Not worth the trouble. Jeep air.com is a turn key system. Easy to install. It took me a couple of days from start to finish and now I have a great heater and super cold A/C.

CJocho

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
CHICAGO
State
Il
Thanks for all of the input. I think I'm going to take the advice and source the materials from jeep air.