Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Flagstaff
State
az
After heading to Sand Hollow and watching bigwalton wheel in the RHD, I managed to come home and buy a decent, stock Alaskan Postal less than 3 miles from my house.

I first noticed this postal on a mountain bike ride maybe 8 years ago, and I don’t think it moved from that spot in the driveway until I bought it Monday since the tires were flat that whole time.

The day we got home from Utah I drove the kids (in my Scrambler) past the Scrambler in the driveway of the postal carrier who owned it and my oldest was super excited about us trying to buy it and her being able to help on it. It just so happened the guy was out working in his yard, so I stopped the Jeep, sent the two younger kids to the park across the street and my oldest and I started talking Scramblers with a rural postal carrier who drove this one on his route for years until brake masters did a poor job of fixing his brakes and his arm got tired of pulling the e-brake at each house he delivered to. This guy currently drives a RHD XJ for his work and has a DJ packed deeply in his garage amongst a lot of other stored materials. The Scrambler looked incredibly stock to me with the mail tray in lieu of a passenger seat, a cargo retention net, foam on the inside, etc... I asked him if there was any chance in the world that he would be interested in selling the Scrambler and to my surprise he said he was planning to retire in the next 2-3 years and he could probably part with it. It did not have a “for sale” sign in it.

I didn’t yet have a monetary target approved by the household finance minister so I got the guy’s phone number and took my kids (with the youngest in melt down mode) back home. The weekend went by and then the following week I went back, worked out a handshake deal and waited another week for the title to get notarized and for the guy to clear out his non-scrambler parts that we’re stored in there.

My oldest daughter is super excited about a summer project, as am I, and the current status is that the engines sounds ok while running, the proportioning valve drains all of the rear brake line fluid onto the ground, the radiator and coolant lines look very suspect, tires sat flat for years, the entire front half of the vehicle shakes when the engine is running with the hood up, front fenders are broken, and I have been to busy to find all the other issues.

I’ll probably take the kids to Overland Expo Sunday and not get to touch the Postal till the following Sunday due to a Grand Canyon backpacking trip next week, but a replacement proportioning valve is on the way.

Pics below include a buddy winching the postal onto the trailer to take home (I was too chicken to drive it onto my trailer with no brakes), a gift of Alaskan beer from Dan Grec for an Alaskan Postal, my daughter being super excited with the project and a bullet hole in the dash which includes a great story that I don’t know a single detail of.

5090666E-0BFB-482D-B5D3-7C17097E94DB.jpeg F28EA567-B6E1-4300-951C-DE1C24DF181F.jpeg C207AB7D-F23E-453F-85AF-92D14485C27D.jpeg D66B6E6D-355D-4CCE-8CB1-72528D80BC0E.jpeg 65AA6043-D6F6-46FA-A985-55A29C872C3B.jpeg

FlagJeep

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Flagstaff
State
az
Some of the unique postal stuff as received.
Mail tray left of driver
Door steps
Cargo net, not sure if the plastic pouch hanging from it is original or from later postal work
C87211B7-2931-46F2-83A7-0B302D1ECFE0.jpeg

2BB7A6FC-F8CD-4329-B8B0-D65526108578.jpeg
C66AF95C-1758-4783-8624-71EBA5E9568C.jpeg 3348E414-72D7-4C25-AB74-2C2A6E0B519F.jpeg 952BF32D-C500-497A-B468-B67745EAFF11.jpeg

Were all of the postals equipped with lap belts? Pretty sure my 84 came with a shoulder seat belt.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Anything 82.5 and up has shoulder belts - looks like the threads are there in the rollbar? I can't speak to whether the postals had shoulder belts, but laps would make sense given the driver would have to move around a lot when reaching for mailboxes.

ducktapeguy

CJ-8 Member
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
SoCal
State
CA
Would you be interested in selling the cargo net? Or can you take some dimensions and pictures of it? I've been looking for one so I can make a reproduction.

FlagJeep

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Flagstaff
State
az
Would you be interested in selling the cargo net? Or can you take some dimensions and pictures of it? I've been looking for one so I can make a reproduction.
Probably not selling the cargo net anytime soon but I can try this weekend to get some measurements on it to help for reproduction if Big Walton doesn’t already have some documentation somewhere on this.

I did get the e-brake to where it should be functional so I need to drive this thing indoors for the winter, hoping to pressure wash 20+ years of grime off the bottom first.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Probably not selling the cargo net anytime soon but I can try this weekend to get some measurements on it to help for reproduction if Big Walton doesn’t already have some documentation somewhere on this.
I know jack squat on those. I think yours is the second one I know about outside of the one in the MATI Jeep.

ducktapeguy

CJ-8 Member
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
SoCal
State
CA

I did get the e-brake to where it should be functional so I need to drive this thing indoors for the winter, hoping to pressure wash 20+ years of grime off the bottom first.
Thanks, that would be very helpful. I have some pictures saved of one somewhere and drew up a rough sketch of the dimensions, but it's always better to get the exact measurements when possible. From what I can see of yours all that hardware is pretty standard and available online so it shouldn't be too hard to reproduce.

There were a couple of Alaskan Postals online with the cargo net, I think one of them was in FL, I forgot where the other one was. At least a few of the pictures showed the net but I don't know what happened to them

FlagJeep

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Flagstaff
State
az
Thanks, that would be very helpful. I have some pictures saved of one somewhere and drew up a rough sketch of the dimensions, but it's always better to get the exact measurements when possible. From what I can see of yours all that hardware is pretty standard and available online so it shouldn't be too hard to reproduce.

There were a couple of Alaskan Postals online with the cargo net, I think one of them was in FL, I forgot where the other one was. At least a few of the pictures showed the net but I don't know what happened to them
I ran out of time this weekend, hopefully by this weekend I can get out there and better document the net

FlagJeep

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Flagstaff
State
az
Sorry for the delay, my mother-in-law is ill and I am off work being caregiver. Let me know if these pics help or if another angle would help
EB30DA7D-A44A-44FB-B71B-AAD444C3F68E.jpeg

Attachments

ducktapeguy

CJ-8 Member
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
SoCal
State
CA
Hope everything is better with the MIL. If you have time, can you lay it out and grab a few more dimensions on the net? It looks like the straps are spaced 7" (center to center), which would end up with 5" squares if I see that correctly. But I would like to know how far the hooks extend past the net on each end. Some of the straps are adjustable, so the overall length and how far they extend past the edge of the net would be helpful.

I drew up a quick sketch showing some of the dimensions I would like. I know everything is sewn together but the second drawing shows the adjustable straps if they were independent of the net to make the measurements clearer.

Also, I just noticed there are two different types of buckles. The ones in the center look like typical cam lock buckles, but the two buckles on either side look different. Are they ratcheting buckles?

Thanks for your help

Attachments

FlagJeep

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Flagstaff
State
az
My mother-in-law passed away Friday, service is this coming Saturday, so I will get the better detail on this for ya next week while I am off for the holiday if that works.

ducktapeguy

CJ-8 Member
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
SoCal
State
CA
I'm very sorry to hear that. No rush on the measurements, I'm sure you have plenty of other things to think about right now. I've still got a ways to go before my Postal is running again

FlagJeep

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Flagstaff
State
az
I'm very sorry to hear that. No rush on the measurements, I'm sure you have plenty of other things to think about right now. I've still got a ways to go before my Postal is running again
Did you still want those measurements?

FlagJeep

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Flagstaff
State
az
Life has sort of settled down, and the kids appear interested in working on the postal.

The first big job is removing the insulation in the postal top. Bigwalton said this is the worst of all of the projects on a postal, so like any reasonable person I outsourced it to my oldest daughter. She is doing awesome on it. I am betting she finishes that tomorrow and cleans up the overall mess this week. It is a legit mess, but don’t tell her that.

I think this thing will covertly move my mountain bike around town once it’s running. The kids want to have this be the school drop off vehicle this fall if COVID permits. That would require some sort of seating in the back. FD55250D-5181-4CC4-B581-1C84628C711E.jpeg 6AB0A629-3DE4-4BEE-8671-A024CB820486.jpeg 0553E45E-E9B1-4144-B000-B3C8C1E98E19.jpeg 86BF4A0F-FBDC-4B22-9671-809EC93D42B6.jpeg 4D6CEB4B-0564-4AB4-B660-91DF4C70065D.jpeg

Anyone have a good inexpensive source for early 80’s FJ40 jump seats?

Attachments

Last edited: