a thought

SCWorm

hillbilly born-n-bred
City
Fort Mill
State
sc
How many Scramblers you guys think are actually left out there? I don't mean total of all that could be pulled out of junkyards and salvage that probably will never fire again- but what do you think would be total count if every person across the U.S. that either had an operating Scrambler, or one that could be driven to the end of the dirt road with $500 of new stuff, a starter or new battery, plugs, whatever would be?

5,000 or 6,000 - more? less? I'm thinking probably 3,000 or 4,000. but the more I think about it................i really have no idea?:confused:

rustycrawler

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Reston
State
VA
I think the number is probably higher than 6,000.

1000 are registered at http://www.jeephead.com/ and I'd be very surprised if one in five or even one in six owners have registered their Scramblers on that website. Out of all the Scramblers on this website alone, I wonder what percentage are registered there. And even that wouldn't be a fair sampling because all of the folks on this website are at least internet savvy.

If you run the VINS of the eBay postings alone against http://www.jeephead.com you will find that most of them are not their.

Do we include all the aftermarket bodies on all the aftermarket frames when counting Scramblers, or just the originals that rolled off the line?

Going Postal

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Corvallis
State
OR
Id say closer to 25% of production is still out there in running or near running form. I'm amazed at how many Scramblers I see now that I'm looking again. I know of three in my home town I've seen in teh last three months and I'd bet non of them are owned by people who would regester them or visit this site...

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Ok, so are you going to contribute or just criticize my guess? ;)

And no, that's not where I got that number. It was a much more scientific process, pulling in the best parts of the BCS rating system and the quarterback rating alogirithim and adding some multi-variable calculus for good measure and that little extra bit of accuracy. :D

kohldad

SOA Member
City
Goose Creek
State
SC
Eric, I think you are off by a few but probably a good guess.

Just in Charleston area, I find another one every few months. I know of at least 10 that are being driven and two more that could be without much work. Then in the country within 50 miles, I know of 2 more under carports and probably being driven. So that is 14 just in my very small neck of the woods.

SCWorm

hillbilly born-n-bred
City
Fort Mill
State
sc
Eric - I thought maybe you were predicting how many posts you would be up to by end of the weekend. Bwwhaaaahaaa:rotfl:

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Ouch! In the words of Kelso from that '70s show: "BURN!!!!!!"

Bugman

The Rubicon, my backyard
City
Pollock Pines
State
CA
Well, going on that 12k number, that would be about half of total production. I think there are a lot less than that out there. I'm saying closer to 8000. If half of the production is still out there I would think parts would be easier to get, more of them, and more aftermarket parts would have been produced for a higher demand. In my opinion the resale value wouldn't have been as high as it was when people had money. These are just my thoughts.:shrug:

bobbysjeep

Legacy Registered User
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Ok, I think I have a definitive answer. There a 1,142 on the Jeep registry, 8 on ebay and 4,532 that Polarfire has found on Craigslist for a grand total of 5,682.:thumbsup:

SCWorm

hillbilly born-n-bred
City
Fort Mill
State
sc
I have to second that, although I am drinking a glass of milk. But I almost tossed it - that really was funny

mr.moparman

Registered Jeep Nut
City
Bastrop
State
LA
I would guess between 30 and 45 percent. No scientific calculation, just a number I was able to pull out of......... somewhere!

Bugman

The Rubicon, my backyard
City
Pollock Pines
State
CA
The postal drivers have always been a liiiitle off.:rolleyes: Something about "going postal".:eek: