A999 Trans problem

City
Bridgman
State
MI
Hi All,
I think I know what I have to do but it is going to hurt the pocket book so I thought I would ask here first. I have 83 Scram i6 with A999 3 speed auto trans. I had a new trans filter put in and it was running fine for about a month and 2 tanks of gas. Then one day going down the road and it slipped into neutral. Pulled over placed it in park turned the jeep off and heard "glug glug glug" . Started it up again and took off and shifted just fine, about half mile slipped into neutral again did the same thing. Checked the fluid level... full :( . Has anyone had this problem? Do you think filter fell off/out?

Thanks

City
Halifax
State
UK
Filter is held in with some screws so hopefully its not fallen off as that could get very messy but seems highly unlikely.
When you say its slipped in to neutral i take it you mean it has no drive and engine just revs? so is it possible that the linkage wants adjusting a bit or is worn somewhere?.Is the box okay in 1 and 2 shifting manually?

Craner8

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Orlando
State
FL
Did the trans fluid have any air in it? Have a Chevy blazer, trans filter developed a slight crack hardly perceptible to the eye and sucked air and transmission slipped. I didn’t have any glug glug glug though. That may mean something else. Transmission shop replaced the filter and fluid. That solved my issue.

City
Bridgman
State
MI
Thanks for the reply. The engine just revs no power, shifting does nothing, have to place in park and turn off engine to get the glug glug glug then It works and shifts fine for half mile or so. Going to drop pan and see if I can find anything. The shop I brought it to will not stand by work and look at the trans. So wish this had a manual I could fix in a weekend.

Mancunian

Lifetime Member
LIFETIME
City
Bridgeport
State
WV
Trans oil should be checked in neutral with the engine running. Doubt if filter being loose would affect much.
Your description translates to 'Slips in all forward drive ranges' - the most common cause of that according to the fsm is low fluid.

City
Bridgman
State
MI
I remember trans guy quizzing me on how I check the fluid level and he said yeah you're right. It was absolutely full. It just stops moving completely. Pull over to the side of the road put in park turn it off glugging sound for maybe 3 seconds I can start the vehicle put it in drive and chirp the tires as I take off. Half mile or so down the road nothing but revs.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Weird. Tagging as I'd like to see what it ends up being.

Mancunian

Lifetime Member
LIFETIME
City
Bridgeport
State
WV
Does it do the same in reverse? - at least does reverse work when you come to a stop?
Still sounds like it's fluid level - but maybe it is a loose gasket?

Suggest you take a look at the oil on the dipstick immediately after it does it's thing to see if it's foamy

This is from the the 32RH manual - basically the same trans.
1591316482061.png
1591316578141.png

Wandering

Basic User
City
Hookstown
State
PA
Hi All,
I think I know what I have to do but it is going to hurt the pocket book so I thought I would ask here first. I have 83 Scram i6 with A999 3 speed auto trans. I had a new trans filter put in and it was running fine for about a month and 2 tanks of gas. Then one day going down the road and it slipped into neutral. Pulled over placed it in park turned the jeep off and heard "glug glug glug" . Started it up again and took off and shifted just fine, about half mile slipped into neutral again did the same thing. Checked the fluid level... full :( . Has anyone had this problem? Do you think filter fell off/out?

Thanks
Just had mine rebuilt and upgraded. During disassembly found the mechnical lock torque converter failed about 9000 miles the symptoms were loss of hydraulic pressure.

I had a custom one built that should handle more abuse. BTW a 1984 999. I have learned that there is little respect for the mechanical lock up converter.

City
Bridgman
State
MI
Just had mine rebuilt and upgraded. During disassembly found the mechnical lock torque converter failed about 9000 miles the symptoms were loss of hydraulic pressure.

I had a custom one built that should handle more abuse. BTW a 1984 999. I have learned that there is little respect for the mechanical lock up converter.
I think I am going to have to have mine rebuilt as well. I have not had time to drop the pan. Any information on the custom built lock up would be very welcome. How much did the rebuild cost?

City
Halifax
State
UK

I thought all CJs came as non lock up was yours an original fitment?

Wandering

Basic User
City
Hookstown
State
PA
So the jury is still out on weather
Yes it does have a locker converter and it has been rebuilt at least three times I have a good history from since the post office owned it. The previous owners would never had changed it. As far as I understand it all TF 999 have mechanicly locking converters. The non locking 904 converter are not interchangable, I am not a transmission guy, but I have been told that There is enough difference that it is not feasible to make it
accept the non lock converter. The converter design existed before the tr999, chrysler used it in some other veriants of the tf999.

City
Halifax
State
UK
Interesting, I have 2 TF999 both original CJ ones and both non lock up, but this is AMC we are dealing with!.
Going by the manuals and the rebuild kit i got the only difference between the 904 and 999 is the clutch plates are different thicknesses and due to that there are more in the 999, everything else would appear to be the same.
I am no expert in these things either though, just enjoy taking things in bits when they go wrong to find out how they work!.

Wandering

Basic User
City
Hookstown
State
PA
So the jury is still out on weather
Yes it does have a locker converter and it has been rebuilt at least three times I have a good history from since the post office owned it. The previous owners would never had changed it. As far as I understand it all TF 999 have mechanicly locking converters. The non locking 904 converter are not interchangable, I am not a transmission guy, but I have been told that There is enough difference that it is not feasible to make it accept the non lock converter. The converter design existed before the tr999, chrysler used it in some other veriants of the tf999.

Wandering

Basic User
City
Hookstown
State
PA
Interesting, I have 2 TF999 both original CJ ones and both non lock up, but this is AMC we are dealing with!.
Going by the manuals and the rebuild kit i got the only difference between the 904 and 999 is the clutch plates are different thicknesses and due to that there are more in the 999, everything else would appear to be the same.
I am no expert in these things either though, just enjoy taking things in bits when they go wrong to find out how they work!.
Interesting do you have any specific information regarding the transmission, as in build date or year of manufacturer.

I am very curious. As in this will be my fourth converter. I have spent over $350 on this one so I hope it lasts better than the last ones.

Wandering

Basic User
City
Hookstown
State
PA
Hi All,

Thanks
https://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/lockup.html this is an interesting artical. But I don't know year to year specifics.

Wandering

Basic User
City
Hookstown
State
PA
I think I am going to have to have mine rebuilt as well. I have not had time to drop the pan. Any information on the custom built lock up would be very welcome. How much did the rebuild cost?
Here is some information that may give you some insight into your transmission issues.

Wandering

Basic User
City
Hookstown
State
PA
The transmission had been rebuilt less than 10,000 miles ago. It was suffering from loss of hydraulic pressure,every time it was off for 15 minutes it would drain into the pan so when I would started it there would be nothing until the converter would refill. While was out I learned that the converter was had self destructed so metal had been pumped through the transmission.

My first converter lasted 400 miles, likely faulty the second one lasted 9000. So this time concern I worked with Anderson Transmission in Rochester PA and explained the history and that I wanted a transmission that could handle an LS gen three hemi swap towing in the mud. He conveyed my needs and history to TLC Converters in Pittsburgh who built a converter that they say can handle it. I currently have a 258 with a cam and MPI and Borla header. Based on the Alpar article I believe that by installing a stiffer spring that controls the speed that inishiates torque lockup I cnaove the speed when the converter lockup occured to 60 mph in the valve body this would eliminate am lockup any time off road. The factory spring inisheates lockup at aboutb 27 on early models and 42 mph on later models. In low range the this speed about 42 = 16 mph and sense this a truely mechanical proccess the transmission doesn't know that you are in low range. All this to say the converter can lock up and unlock at in opportune times. About $1700, ,$300 for the converter.

City
Halifax
State
UK
Interesting do you have any specific information regarding the transmission, as in build date or year of manufacturer.

I am very curious. As in this will be my fourth converter. I have spent over $350 on this one so I hope it lasts better than the last ones.
The rebuild manual i bought to assist me with rebuilding the TF999 has a section that identifies the serial numbers on the side and tells you the year and mnaufacturer it went to, if it was lock up or non lock up and it may even tell you the engine it was designed for if i remember correctly.

The TF i took out of my 8 that was acting funny when it was warm is the original box and its a 1981 model now sat in the workshop and still faulty definitely non lock up.
The TF i rebuilt before removing the 81 is early 80s (cant remember) and came out of a CJ7 and thats sat working in the 8 now and definitely non lock up.

If you want take a photo of the serial number stamped in the side of the TF and i will see if it matches with anything in the book if you want it may help clarify whats going on.
I know both boxes i own i found in the manual and the information all matched as to what i knew about them.