A999 Trans problem

Wandering

Basic User
City
Hookstown
State
PA
The rebuild manual i bought to assist me with rebuilding the TF999 has a section that identifies the serial numbers on the side and tells you the year and mnaufacturer it went to, if it was lock up or non lock up and it may even tell you the engine it was designed for if i remember correctly.

The TF i took out of my 8 that was acting funny when it was warm is the original box and its a 1981 model now sat in the workshop and still faulty definitely non lock up.
The TF i rebuilt before removing the 81 is early 80s (cant remember) and came out of a CJ7 and thats sat working in the 8 now and definitely non lock up.

If you want take a photo of the serial number stamped in the side of the TF and i will see if it matches with anything in the book if you want it may help clarify whats going on.
I know both boxes i own i found in the manual and the information all matched as to what i knew about them.
That manual sounds like great inform the Alpar states that the 904 family went lock up in 1981. That chart in sounds like a gold mine.

City
Halifax
State
UK
Here is my original TF999 serial No.
Its a bit hard to make out but its serial No (3240219) and the part in the manual that works it out. its not a CJ7 but everything else is correct (no mention of CJ8s in the book) It does mention Lockup for CJ7s there as well and an axle ratio too!

20200702_071814_resized.jpg
20200702_184435_resized.jpg

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I have the ATSG book, but this one appears to be more detailed. Just placed an order for one.

Thanks for the tip.