• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

AC Condenser Options

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
I am collecting parts & pieces to add AC to the overlander.

Does anybody know if the JeepAir Condenser fits? https://jeepair.com/condensers/gran...e-oe-parallel-flow-replacement-condenser.html

I already ordered the evaporator from Cold Master. http://coldmasterinc.com/product/un...or-underdash-ac-heavy-duty-24-volts-450a-100/

(Listed as 24v, but is 12v)

I ordered the Jeep Air kit for a CJ. Everything installed really easy and fit great. It did take longer than the eight hours that they estimated it should take. That could’ve just been me being slow. I installed it on my 82 Scrambler.
Make sure you get the universal bracket straps that you cut to fit/ Mount the Condenser

Last edited:

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
This condenser is claimed to be an OE type for the CJ Wagoneer Comanche.

53-7883_5_.jpg

53-7883_3_.jpg

I have never seen an OE a/c in a CJ (thought they were all aftermarket).

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I have no idea if the brackets shown on that condenser actually fit a CJ radiator shell.

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
It doesn’t look like to me that they will fit. The brackets I got with my AC kit for a CJ, we’re just straps that bent and cut to fit. Here’s a picture of mine. Not a great one, but the best that I can get.

Here’s one more

Attachments

• C95C590A-65B7-46A1-A84F-C48E796613DA.jpeg
    C95C590A-65B7-46A1-A84F-C48E796613DA.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 13
  • CB433692-27CF-49A2-9808-A60FB1B49B4B.jpeg
    CB433692-27CF-49A2-9808-A60FB1B49B4B.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 13

HighSierra CJ

Scrambler Enthusiast
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ducor
State
Ca
I think those brackets will put you into the headlight buckets. The CJ grills narrower than the Comanche or Wagoneer

Scramblin Man

Beyond help
Lifetime Member
City
Woodway
State
Tx
I have a couple of oem a/c condensers and the brackets look like those on jeepair, if I recall correctly. Can get them out in the next couple of days for photos and measurements.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
That would be great. I’m not in a huge rush, got a todo list before I’m ready to install the ac, but would like to start collecting the pieces.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Hey I got your PM about the Overlander AC...you can find lots of pics at the signature links below....the control is a separate unit that allows RHD use..

The entire system is now in Jambo Dons hands as he is going to put it on his. I took mine out a few years ago, the idea at the time was to make a custom RHD factory USA style box as I didnt like the large bulky look, even tho yes it was original to it. I also was having issues with the belt system always squeeking and out alignment being too close to the rad hoses plus was a double belt system requiring special non-USA alternator, etc...so I acquired a 6 cyl York Mount from an 82 6cyl so it would be high output and also use easy to source parts.... well then life got busier with other jeep projects and I gave up for now so Don has that stuff now too...

As far as the OEM one and what you show up there...that looks pretty good...the spacing also doesnt use the Rad bolts, its own set of mounting area that all later CJ grills have....so i think thats it. .

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
There are different condensers made, some for "factory installed AC", others for the "dealer add on AC". I do not think you will find new ones available at any normal parts place, maybe a collector/eBay?

I last worked on an '82 Renegade that had the original "dealer add on AC". I was able to have the condenser cleaned, pressure checked. I hooked it back up, had the entire system flushed and recharged, and it worked, no leaks. You might get lucky this way.

I do not like the "dealer add on air" as much as the "factory installed air" :twocents: The brackets for the compressor and idler pulleys are definitely not as well thought out as the "factory air" brackets. But, it does work fine. The single V-belt spinning the compressor is OK, but it will require periodic adjustment. Those compressors really put a "load" on the belt when the clutch locks up.

I installed a "Jeep air" kit on my green Scrambler. It uses a universal condenser, like mentioned above, with do it yourself brackets. I had to trim my passenger side headlight bucket. The inside unit "looks" factory, but it is not 100% correct, but close enough for most people, unless you are completing a 100% correct restoration. On that note, the "dealer add on" inside unit looks way different then the "factory AC" unit.

I thought about trying to find all the original parts/pieces to install AC on my Green Scrambler. But, most tsuff would be 30 years old, and probably used. And, there are a bunch of parts to search for. In the end, I went with the JeepAir kit, and I am pretty happy with it :thumbsup:

On a RHD, I can see that the JeepAir kit would be a problem, it would be a long reach to get to the controls.

I did a pretty detailed right up when I installed the JeepAir kit. Even if you use factory parts, it might be helpful:

https://www.cj-8.com/threads/spankrjss-biloxi-ms-83-scrambler.23045/page-17

Last edited:

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Thanks all for the pointers, they will help a bunch.

This system will be some kind of frankenmonster as each part will be sourced separately to make a system that fits my unique needs.

I have ordered this Evaporator:

CM-450A-100_12V-1.jpg

CM-450A-100_12V-3.jpg

Need to get the hose kit, bulkhead fittings, condenser, dryer, switches, and compressor.

I plan to stay V-belt, so the mounting brackets are an item I will need to source. I don't plan to use a York compressor, thinking one of the more modern compressors would be more efficient. Research tells me the typical a/c pulls 10-15 HP, so I'd imagine that would be a huge strain on the belt when the clutch locks in.

The main reason I went with that evaporator is the rating, 22,200 BTU (and loose controls). It appears to be the same one JerseyJeeps had and with your reports of how well it did in Texas, I figure it is the appropriate way to go. It gets hot down here y'all! I would rather a more OEM looking unit, but this will work for my needs.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Watching this one. I have a couple of OEM A/C condensers. They mount to the grill using 4 small bolts about 3-4 inches apart, and have the offset brackets like the one you pictured in post #3. Whether or not that one is the right size? No idea. If Scramblin Man doesn't get you measurements by the weekend I'll try to drag one of mine out. They're buried in the back of the shop.

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
not great picture but that bracket may be correct for CJ. two hanging on the wall.P1020149.jpgresized.jpgP1020150resized.jpg

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Thanks, I think I’ll order the jeepair one as it looks fairly close to that one.