• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Accessories

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
Lifetime Member
City
Middle of No Where and Too Far From Any Where
State
Tn
accessories

Looks good dave-JC:D

donaghy

CJ-8.COM owner
SOA Member
FORUM OWNER
City
Lexington
State
SC
underside mount picture

you have a picture of the underside mounting of your siderails...

I made some for the TJ using bent steel and old nerf bars..

About ready to make another set for the Scrambler but I debating on how far under and how to tie them into body or frame on the underside.

Here's a picture of the ones for the TJ...
pictures%20023.jpg

RJCJ-8

SOA Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rome
State
GA
Matt, post some pics when you do the 8, I like that idea. I'm still tring to figure out what I'm going to do for rocker protection.

Slpbear

Wyoming Scrambler nut
Rocker guards

Matt, I will post the pictures from underneath on monday, I will be gone all day tomorrow to help a friend look for his jeep in SLC, Utah.;) I bolted directly to the body where my existing rocker gaurds used to be with a 3/4" underhang to meet the sheet meatal under the scrambler, I then used black silicone caulking to keep moisture from getting between the rocker gaurd and the body sheet metal. David "Papa Bear" Mc Ilrath

Last edited:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
While I love the look of those rocker guards, it looks like the amount of extension out from the side of the body would really put a ton of stress on the lower edge of the body if those are not tied into the frame.

When you say there's an underhag to meet the sheetmetal underneath, is it bolted on under there too? That would help some I supoose.

I'm picturing one of them hanging up on a rock with neither wheel on the ground so they'd end up with the entire weight of that side of the vehicle hanging off of it. The only body-only attachment rocker guards that I've seen seen have been positioned right along the lower edge of the body, like the tube kind that basically run right along the lower edge of the sheet metal.

Now if they're tied into the frame, more like nerf bars, there's a ton more strength and you can cantilever them out much better.

I'm not trying to be overly critical, I'd just hate to see some severe body damage result from a badly placed rock hit without saying something.

Please correct me if I'm making bad assumptions from the picture.

I really like your front and rear bumpers though, how much for a set of those? :D

donaghy

CJ-8.COM owner
SOA Member
FORUM OWNER
City
Lexington
State
SC
yep exactly

yes, that is exactly the point and the reason why I want to see how everyone else ties them into

a. either the frame
b. underside of body mounts or underside of body somehow

I'm not necessarily worried about downward pressure of using the protruding part as a step. I think that would be ok (although not the best)

but I'm guessing that in that scenario, if the complete weight of jeep coming down on the protruding part, no matter how many bolts you had tied into body, it is bound to try and twist upwards thereby crimping or making a creas in the body at the top of the rocker.

If anyone has pictures of how/where specifically they tied back into frame underside, post em.

matt

Slpbear

Wyoming Scrambler nut
Rocker Gaurds

Some excellent points have been made and I plan to explore them completely. A friend has some simular to mine and that is where I got the Ideal. He has hung up and has not had a problem, I guess tying them into the frame as well as the body would not be to difficult. I was trying to keep them as high as possible to keep them away from most rocks. Thanks for the possitive post. As far as price of the front and reaar bumpers, Big Walton, let me explore that one as well.
David "Papa Bear" Mc Ilrath;)

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
Lifetime Member
City
Middle of No Where and Too Far From Any Where
State
Tn
NO SUCH THING AS BODY DAMAGE,JUST TRAIL TROPIES!

Mine are made out of 3/16 and 1/4 inch steel,they are bolted through the body above and under the nerfbar,i used large heavy washers on the back side to back up the bolts and nuts,They fit very tight under the body and wrap under it 6" to protect the under side,they also have a "ramp" that turns up at the fenderwells to eliminate any blunt or square edge to hang on anything.I have had most of the entire 4800lbs of my Scrambler sitting on one side of these while sliding down a large rock on my side with no body damage-JC:cool: :cool: :cool: