Acme hard top thread

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Finally getting around to my Acme. I got it the same day I got my 8. It was in Marietta Ohio and I gave $800 for it and a set of matching 2 window glass doors.
I’ve spent a little time on the rear latch guides as well as sanding and painting the rear hatch. The biggest hurdle to this point has been installing the rear glass. I did it in an hour and 40 minuets. Let’s get to the pictures

Attachments

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Here’s the installed glass. I used thick dish soap out of the gate but it was wayyyyy to slick and messy. I switched to Fabuloso and it was the trick.
Had to throw the mandatory Grady White sponsorship decal on there too!
And a big shout out to my friends down in Chuck town

Attachments

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Nice work. I have an ACME in the yard for the Scrambler. Have yet to install it. One of these days!

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
W-S
State
NC
I've yet to do the top proper. It'll need it's side windows removed and detailed, exterior getting a matte black and the inside will get the grey trunk spray with carpet over it's majority. Can't wait! And thanks for all the kind words!

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
I always loved those dual window fiberglass doors. Can't wait to see them painted and installed.

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Well the top made it into the shop. Discovered that the repair areas were chock full of BONDO on a fiberglass top. More love for the infamous previous owner!
Anyway I have it on saw bucks and have the front set to 57" to the outside like the back is. These things are sooooooo flimsy it's scary. I think all of their structural rigidity comes from the tub once mounted.
Order of things to come are as follows;
-check and set for dimensional agreement with tub and windshield frame
-glass in repair areas
-scuff inside and outside
-refurb windows, seals, tracks and latches
-prime and paint outside with matte black
-prime and paint inside with splatter paint
-install some sort of carpet on roof for sound deadening and insulation
-install gaskets for sealing to tub and windshield frame

Pictures of the BONDO for reference of how NOT to do this!

RWM7cLd8SK2KPk+dmo41gw.jpg T75dqKLmTweSDjlOmd28NQ.jpg AZJMZ%t5ShCqah2V7paBQw.jpg 3kdlM%%aSTe%Qs5Vd69iHA.jpg Auv3jMhVSaW7XnMROQVYIA.jpg

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Following! I'm not versed in fiberglass work. Isn't bondo fiberglass, and why is it a bad idea to use it to fix a top?

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
The top will flex and the bondo will crack or at least the edge of the repair area will. I found Acme full tops to be kinda ridge compared to others, much heavier with their double wall construction. I like the smooth gelcoat inside look also, just not the extra weight associated with it.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Do you have the little metal angle tabs that secure the rear of the hard top to the body? They mount on either side of the lift gate hatch. They keep the rear of the top from wanting to "spread" open.

The Acme on my tan Scrambler feels really rigid/heavy, not flimsy at all :shrug:

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
W-S
State
NC
This is one of the projects where I need JSherb (sp) to live across the road to help out with. I'm going to glass her in with the kit you buy at Lowes. This shouldn't be too bad but I'm sure I'll be sanding and itching quite a bit. And I'm already going to carpet the inside in places to help with sound and climate.
Bondo has no real structural properties, so to speak. It's the glass fibers in the resin that give fiberglass it's strength, think rebar in concrete.
Spanks - Please post a picture of the angles you are referencing, I'd appreciate it.

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Alright then, we has some stripper show up today. I used aircraft stripper on the painted aluminum trim to remove the black paint that was on it. No worries, this stuff is the best! Got it stripped and washed it down with soap and water, blew it down with compressed air then wiped it with MEK.

hVm8w6p0TJSPuFtXz95b0A.jpg TeRxjqamTvyINC6dUUEEeg.jpg YYhfYBY0TGyh9Rmw4Dm8uA.jpg 1R1VF9ihSgWFwyvUXu8Pjw.jpg

I got the last of the flecks off and masked the trim for primer. Shot some high build sandable on the whole top and called it a night. A quick 220 grit scuff in the morning followed by a tack rag then on goes the chassis black.

Have to shout out to Spanks on the link......gracias amigo

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
No problem, glad I could be helpful :thumbsup:

There is more info on that thread, lift gate strut part numbers, latch part numbers, etc.

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Bunch of nut shells.....musta had a few mice in there at one time.

IMG_9978.jpg

Stood it up to do the inside and repairs. Set width at 59". Going to install some LED's to light 'er up.

IMG_9979.jpg

ag4ever

Basic User
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I buy most of my fiberglass stuff from Fiberglass Supply

They have all kinds of tools, resins, cloth, matt, etc..

They also have some How To information.

Might also look into glen-l. Their forum could give you more info on fiberglass construction.

You just need to shift your mindset from Jeep (vehicle) construction to boat construction.