• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Acme hard top thread

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Well, I got around to trying my hand at "glass" work. Not too bad at all. Read up a bunch on it and let 'er rip. I'm going to do another layer either tonight or tomorrow. I made a pattern out of all things a paper towel and used that to cut my glass fabric to approximate shape and size. This stuff is MESSY from the stray glass fibers to the resin that is what I compare to wild honey. It's the same color and consistency and just as sticky! Big take away from this so far has been to use aluminum foil. Works just fine to line a plate for mixing and lay flat on the bench to saturate the cloth with resin. I'll shoot more pics after the second coat. Here's where I am up until this point;

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Ok. So I got the second coat on with a resin topcoat. Sanding with 60 grit makes quick work out of the drips and high spots. It’s far from perfect but it’s a ways better then the bondo that was in there.
Primer and paint on the inside to follow then I’ll put the carpet in when it’s on.

Attachments

• 00F6AF2B-DDC2-43EE-AB87-86C8A5F6F4BE.jpeg
    00F6AF2B-DDC2-43EE-AB87-86C8A5F6F4BE.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 10
  • 848D27C8-9C33-4012-951E-855C78D19156.jpeg
    848D27C8-9C33-4012-951E-855C78D19156.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 1ACC14CA-7E64-49A0-945B-B60B727B8158.jpeg
    1ACC14CA-7E64-49A0-945B-B60B727B8158.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 10

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Worth noting is that when I removed the brace I had to hold it at 59” it only sprung open 3/4”!
Structurally I think I did nothing but good for the top. Now to huff some more spray paint ?

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
We’re getting there. I need more white semi gloss to finish.

Attachments

• 0947414F-049D-4900-9192-FEEEBEA99843.jpeg
    0947414F-049D-4900-9192-FEEEBEA99843.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 21

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Between rattle canning the top and his Derby car I think I killed what little brain I had lfet. I misspelled that on purpose to be funny.

Top mounted as soon as I can get a second set of hands here to help. Little people are no good for these type of projects.

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Well, Mrs. CJ8 and I were able to set the top on yesterday afternoon. I've got to fit it, bolt it and screw it to secure it, fit it some more and then the carpet can get put on it. One thing that really stands out is just how spacious it is inside with the hard top versus the soft top. I think I'm going to like it very much.

I have to get SS hardware for the back gate, install rear gate weatherstrip and make some striker plates for where the gate latches go into the top.

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0312.HEIC.jpeg

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Top looks great. I like the Acme Full Top. Mine does get a little condensation on the underside when it's sitting out in damp weather. Maybe your carpet idea will solve that problem.

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Top looks great. I like the Acme Full Top. Mine does get a little condensation on the underside when it's sitting out in damp weather. Maybe your carpet idea will solve that problem.
Kim,
Do you mind to post up some pics of front attachment to the windshield as well as door fitment to the top. I've got a gap you could put your fingers in on the passenger side.
Thx in advance!

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
When I got my hardtop it didn't have anything to attach to the windshield. I just made two Stainless Steel brackets. Just like a CJ7, you have to remove some screws to take it off. Now the popular way is to put the latches from McMaster-Carr on for quick removal. My ACME has two locking handles for the hatch which is a little more unusual it seems.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Just to be sure, you did remove any track on top of the windshield frame for the leading edge of any soft top or bikini top? Right? That would keep the front edge of the hardtop from seating properly.

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
City
W-S
State
NC
Sure did John. Good reminder tho. I took it off first then moved on to the sides for the soft top. Really digging how quiet it is compared to the soft top. Just my luck that the milder temps are coming back here in NC this week, go figure. Next hurdle is the carpet.
Thx to all for the replies and suggestions.

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Jeff Scherb used a double plate mount on his overlander top to pull the top down on the windshield. I can't find a image quickly, but think 2 angle iron clips with bolts pulling the flanges together.

I used latches to pull my stock half top tight to the windshield. The latches don't stop the side-side movement, but pull it tight against the seal. Jeff's method would eliminate side-side and up-down movement.