Advice on an at home sand blasting setup?

rispony

Scramblin' in the City
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Manhattan
State
NY
In the process of a rebuild. I still have to blast my frame and other large parts like my grill, fenders, axles, and underside of the tub. All the media blasters around me are asking to charge upwards of a grand and thats just for the frame so I'm pretty sure I'm gunna go the DIY route. I've got a 6HP 30gal compressor so I should be able to handle anything. Harbor has a 40lb. pressure pot for 109.99 which seems decent, otherwise I was considering going with the 50lb. craftsman kit which is more portable. I also found excellent reviews of a Campbell Hausfield 30lb. blasting kit which is similar to the craftmans. Any feedback from anyone who has used this stuff?

Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/garage...40-lb-pressurized-abrasive-blaster-68992.html

Craftsman:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-50-lb-sandblaster-kit-with-1-4-in/p-00916706000P

Campbell Hausfield:
http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Haus...=1389129007&sr=8-2&keywords=sand+blasting+kit

Jeepin

Legacy Registered User
City
Dexter
State
MI
$1K for just the frame? OMG, I paid $215 to get mine done a couple of months ago.

I have the Harbor Freight deal, and I think it works OK. I have only used it on axles and a few brackets so far. The main item that I have found is to make sure you have a really good water remover / dryer on your compressor or you will plug up the gun nonstop.

City
denver
State
co
i would think that you would want a min of a 60 gal compressor to do any long duration blasting. one thing i cant stand is waiting for the compressor to build air so i can continue.

rispony

Scramblin' in the City
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Manhattan
State
NY
It was actually $800 for the frame but he said it could go up to $1000 depending on how much material is used. You think thats bad? I reserved a spot at my paint guy's garage like 4 months ago and got so busy that I didn't have time to strip the tub myself so in a crunch, I had to pay $1200 for the blaster to do the inside and out, not underneath, the week before....never again.

How's this for a mositure trap?
http://www.sears.com/eastwood-air-c...-SPM6405350304?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
I had a portable soda blaster do my tub, it ran about $300. My painter was nice and passed it thru direct with no markup.

CHIEFWAHO

SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Board Member
City
Thayer
State
KS
Had a pot similar to the Harbor Freight worked well but they all use a ton of air volume.
You will spend more time waiting for the compressor to recover than the amount of time actually blasting.

The last frame we did we were very fortunate to have a local place that blasted and powder coated it for $150 total.
Makes no sense for us to even try to do it ourselves for that amount.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
I have one like the sears one, even with good air source and pressure, it's really slow going and nasty work. Never again for me. I have a cabinet for smaller stuff and it can stress my 2 stage, 2 cylinder Ingersall Rand 60 gal compressor.

I did use the Sears one for a '66 CJ that I did 30 years ago.

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
I used the Harbor Freight unit and never really could get it to work correctly. I had to 5 HP compressors tied in tandem and they stayed running all the time. I did everything I could to knock the water out, but the sand still got wet and clogged up the gun. I even made a coil in a bucket of water to cool the air before hitting the 2 knock out filters. I spent way more time fighting the pot than actually sand blasting. Ended up stripping things chemically and taking parts to a local blast yard.

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
I used the Harbor Freight unit and never really could get it to work correctly. I had to 5 HP compressors tied in tandem and they stayed running all the time. I did everything I could to knock the water out, but the sand still got wet and clogged up the gun. I even made a coil in a bucket of water to cool the air before hitting the 2 knock out filters. I spent way more time fighting the pot than actually sand blasting. Ended up stripping things chemically and taking parts to a local blast yard.
I did the tandem compressor thing and I highly recommend it. Takes a minor bit of fiddling and then you have the capacity (CFM) of a MUCH more expensive unit. I used it to do my first real paint job. Not great, but it wasn't franken compressors fault, I just went too fast.

Here is a guy that went way overboard. My setup is much simpler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFRYlwnuNZ8

Also, when you say sand I don't know if you used play sand and I don't want to start the play sand/silicosis wars, but health discussions aside, I had much more luck when I went to the black diamond media that I got from Tractor Supply.

But $150 for the whole frame with powder coating??? There is no way you could justify doing that yourself. I wish we had shops like that in Maryland.

rstickley

SOA Member
SOA Member
City
Carencro
State
La
I just started a "Dustless Blasting" business here in Louisiana. You should search your area to see if anyone is doing it. Most businesses are mobile like mine and it is a lot less mess and fast.

LetchcoreCJ7

Legacy Registered User
City
Nashville
State
TN
A 30gal compressor will take days to do all the parts you want to do and probably burn the compressor up as well. I know from experience. Also you will need a good blasting hood and ventilator. The sandblaster I bought from Tractor Supply has a water separator on it. So does my compressor. I also often drain my compressor before doing a lot of blasting because water builds up in them and gets into the air. The tandem air compressor set up helps but really an 80 gallon two stage is needed to do a frame and sheet metal. Even then it will run constant to keep up.

skiptown

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Madison
State
WI
Anybody use a dry ice blaster? The dry ice shop here has one they rent out. I guess the "pellets" are rice shape. After the blasting the ice evaporates so no mess...

don87401

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
A friend of mine use an Eastwood dual pot blaster and two compressors a 26 gallon (about wore out the 26) and a 60 gallon and that was not enough air keep up with the blasting. He mangaged to blast every thing on the Jeep in about 6 weeks. Axles, frame, complete tub, fenders, hood, small parts like suspension parts, roll bar. He used sand and a comercial duty air supplied hood. He did it in a shed lined with heavy plactic and some osb sheeets and reused the sand several times. Took part of a wall out put up 9, 24x24 filters and a box fan in the oposite wall to vent the area and keep the dust contained. Went through 5 to 600lbs of sand at about 20 bucks a 100lbs. He would blast a while then run the used sand off the floor through a screen, refill the pots while the compressors rebuilt presure. As the sand turned to dust he would add a new bag of sand in the mix. A slow process but he was successful at getting it done.

RubberDuck

Legacy Registered User
City
Baltimore
State
MD
You're not going to be happy with any model that you can conceivably run at home without a diesel towable compressor. It will take FOREVER to do a tub/frame with any of those models and you'll have sand in parts of your anatomy that you didn't know existed. A 30gal compressor will come nowhere close to keeping up. I have a 60 gallon 2 stage and I can only do small stuff without having to wait long periods of time to catch up. That being said the prices you got for blasting sound really high.

I'd think you could get your frame done for $200 or so and maybe another 3-400 for your tub. I've got a guy who I take all my stuff to and I think that's about what he'd charge me.

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
You're not going to be happy with any model that you can conceivably run at home without a diesel towable compressor. It will take FOREVER to do a tub/frame with any of those models and you'll have sand in parts of your anatomy that you didn't know existed. A 30gal compressor will come nowhere close to keeping up. I have a 60 gallon 2 stage and I can only do small stuff without having to wait long periods of time to catch up. That being said the prices you got for blasting sound really high.

I'd think you could get your frame done for $200 or so and maybe another 3-400 for your tub. I've got a guy who I take all my stuff to and I think that's about what he'd charge me.
is he a local guy near you?