• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Advice, suggestions

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
The CJ8 that I purchased has a 4 cylinder lightweight 4 speed. The drive train runs good no problems. Still trying to have a plan. (Frame is #1 on my radar now.)
My wife ask about wanting an Automatic transmission (cringe), but what the heck. Its just gonna be a Beach buggy.
So I've been looking at swaps..... I keep telling myself KISS.

Would a 258 engine with paired automatic swap be the easiest? I'm thinking yes.
If so what years and what vehicles to look for in wrecking yards that would be simplistic since electronic are not my best subject.

Once I get a frame I plan on building rolling frame ready for my body, so engine and transmission would be installed in frame before body installed.

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
The only thing that makes the 258 easier than anything else, is that you can still find OEM bolt-in parts to make it work. Good luck finding a good TF999 automatic transmission, though.

In your shoes, I'd be looking at a carbureted Chevy 350/turbo350 for simplicity, or go big with a 5.3/4L60E swap. A 4.0/AW4 combo like Big Walton is running would also be a good choice, and wouldn't tear up your axles the way a 5.3 might.

Swapping in a 258 will be almost as much (if not just as much) work as anything else, without the reward.

Have fun! :cheers:

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Scrap that idea.
Should I consider upgrading to 5 speed if I keep current GM Iron Duke?

ag4ever

Average Nut
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
The T-5 trans is also notoriously week. Not that an Iron Duke is high power, but many have destroyed them on the highway just driving along.

Interceptor

My toy of joy
Silver Member
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Leave well enough alone I guess.

Doing my best not to get bogged down in a long term rabbit hole.

I was a couple of hours late on buying a 1986 a abandoned CJ7. Body completely rusted away. Was gonna get for axles and 5 speed. Sell the rest. What are going prices for wide track a les

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I sold mine for $900 for both: recently rebuilt, rear locker, no leaks and totally rust free with new brakes and tie rod ends. We were both happy with the deal.