aero 33 gallon gas tank

luckypenny

Basic User
City
georgetown
State
tx
aero 33 gallon gas tank - pictures now available

I just finished with the installation of an Aero 33 gallon gas tank on my 82 scrambler - fit perfectly and this is one sturdy tank - no skid plate needed as the steel on this thing is thick - very happy with it and now I can drive more than 15 minutes without having to fill up -thanks to all for earlier advice on where to go for a tank - see pics on my last post

Last edited:

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
luckypenny said:
now I can drive more than 15 minutes without having to fill up
Yeah but, it will cost a months pay to fill it up as we continue to be gouged by the oil & gas companies!! :eek: :mad:

Truck

twmattox

Legacy Registered User
City
Arcadia
State
IN
I am getting ready to install mine...any advice?

My consolation is that I would be spending more (in coffee and doughnuts) if I filled up every other day (like normal)...

luckypenny

Basic User
City
georgetown
State
tx
Yeah over $100 to fill up - has a 350 Chevy in it so I am probably getting all of 4-5 miles per gallon - will try to post some pics - was not difficult to install - had to drill several extra holes but not much of a problem -

dusty

Misguided w/ an AMC401
City
SR
State
CA
4-5 mpg man thats ruff.

FYI My 401 is getting 12mpg (11.80) with no hope of it going up or down. something sounds off key there

City
Longview
State
TX
Good luck.

Aero tanks used to be Arrow tanks. I put one on a CJ-7 several (many) years ago. For the first couple of years it was OK. Then the baffles turned loose (and rattled on every turn and bump). I could live with that cause I'm kinda hard of hearing. Then a seam on the top edge started leaking. If I filled the tank more than 2/3's full it leaked. Defeated the reason for a larger tank. Then I had less ground clearance with the same or less volume as the stock tank.

Maybe when they changed their name they changed the quality. :rolleyes:

tom

City
georgetown
State
tx
Time will tell - I am not a mechanic but had my mechanic install it - he told me it was one of the best made, heavy duty gas tanks he had ever seen - hopefully they improved since you installed yours -

City
georgetown
State
tx
will try to get one on soon - I use my scrambler for hunting and a little off roading but no rock crawling so clearance wasn't that big of an issue - will get pics plus measurement from ground

City
City
State
ZZ
Thanks for posting up pics. That thing is huge! Definately can scratch that one off my list - too much loss of clearance for the wheeling I do.

Thanks again!

City
georgetown
State
tx
it is large but I do not do any rockclimbing - just use it for everyday and hunting so the 33 gallon tank is a plus for my situation -

twmattox

Legacy Registered User
City
Arcadia
State
IN
Doesn't hang down any lower than stock, just longer...makes it look like it hangs down and destroys ground clearance. But, if you hit this tank, it is likely you would have hit the rear overhang anyway...

Commander_Kang

What was that noise?
City
Reisterstown
State
MD
Wow 4 to 5?What size tires and gearing are you running?I'm on 33x12s and 3.73 gears and I'm getting 9 to 10 and thats because I drive faster then I should.
-edit-Oh also could you take a picture directly from behind?I'm looking at getting one but I need to be sure it'll clear my duel exhaust.

City
City
State
ZZ
twmattox said:
Doesn't hang down any lower than stock, just longer...makes it look like it hangs down and destroys ground clearance. But, if you hit this tank, it is likely you would have hit the rear overhang anyway...
I hear ya. I do my fair share of rear overhang dragging over granite... I'd much rather have the bumper take the abuse than a skidplate-equipped gas tank. :)

City
georgetown
State
tx
I was exaggerating some on the 4-5 MPG - probably closer to 8-10 range - with a 15 gal tank though it seemed like I was filling up every day - will get you a pic from directly behind

gp'n Jake

can you repeat that?
City
morris county
State
NJ
luckypenny said:
I was exaggerating some on the 4-5 MPG - probably closer to 8-10 range - with a 15 gal tank though it seemed like I was filling up every day - will get you a pic from directly behind
i don't even really drive anywhere and i feel like i'm filling it up everyday. a bigger gas tank would be peachy.