Aftermarket AC install Q

Doc Savage

Basic User
City
Huntsville
State
AL
Wondering if anyone has installed the Jeepair system in their Scramblers. The duct work looks fairly factory, but I'm running to issues and looking for some tips if anyone else ran into my issues.

I worked on putting the dash in and finishing up with the underdash portion of the AC and ran into a clearance issue. In the Jeepair instructions they mentioned trimming the gas pedal and I had to do that, but the real kicker was on the passenger side. The fittings for the evaporator come out the back of the duct in what looks like a bad place. With it pushed hard up against the heater ductwork, I really need another 1/4" of space to get the screws to line up properly. I'll post up a pic this evening when I get home.

I contacted Jeepair about it and this was their response "Our units are a direct fit fo the CJ's but sometimes with the Scramblers there are slight interference issues. We have run into instances with the Scramblers where the expansion valve/evaporator fittings hit the heater box. In those instances the box has to be notched out to allow for the fittings to set in."

Looking at where they hit the heater box, they just miss a damper, but really I have to cut a hole in the heater duct to let this go inside? Just looking for some ideas and thoughts on how to proceede. And is there really a difference in a CJ7 and a Scrambler? I thought the heaters were identical.

Robert

jbeemer

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Conklin
State
MI
I ran into the same issue with mine. I don't think it's a "Scrambler" issue. The person I talked to told me there were a few of the heater box's that were shaped different, Mine is a 1981. I had too notch the heater box for the fittings to set back in. After everything was installed I used the tape/caulk/goo stuff they send to seal the hole around the fittings.

It was a little bit of a pain.......but the A/C works great and is super cold

Doc Savage

Basic User
City
Huntsville
State
AL
Thanks, Would you have pics of your mod? By the tape/caulk/goo, did you mean something they had in the kit? Mine had the fittings/expansion valve already covered in some kind of sticky black goo type stuff. Wondering how to go about "notching" the heater box to get this to fit.

Robert

jbeemer

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Conklin
State
MI
I'll try to get some pictures tonight. Mine wasn't wrapped, the black goo/tape was in a roll with the parts.

jbeemer

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Conklin
State
MI
Hard to get a picture, but here it is.

If I remember right..........I drilled a hole saw through and then opened up as needed with a carbide burr on a die grinder.

Crawling under there to get the picture I noticed most of the black goo tape is gone. Although the only downside is it will leak a little airflow. May have been a combination of the heat and the blazer blower motor.

Doc Savage

Basic User
City
Huntsville
State
AL
Here's the pic of mine. It needs to go in about 1/4" with this happening.

Thanks for the pic. I may have to come up with something else to patch the hole with as mine was prewrapped. I'll post the results in my build thread.

Robert