bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Since the first day I’ve owned the Postal I’ve been fighting the gas pedal. I didn’t realize until I got it back to NC that it was bottoming out on the floor before I got full throttle on the carb and there was excessive play before it started pulling the throttle at all.

Fixed that by spacing it off the firewall and then the problem became how the arm itself would bend down over time. This resulted in 1) less throttle throw and 2) because it’s right-hand drive and the shape of the arm, the pedal would move over toward the side of the tub and become harder to get my foot on. I’m 6’6” and my knee hits the door normally while on the gas, so I’d have to rotate my foot out to the side to reach back to the pedal. On long drives, the pain in my ankle/shin from doing that is what clued me in to needing to pull the pedal back up.

With the trip to EJS and Sand Hollow looming, I finally got my butt in gear and came up with a solution. Cut and. bent a piece of rod and welded it to the back of the arm. Had to notch the rod to fit by the hinge (I had to cut the stock hinge and replaced with a 1/4” bolt) but it was pretty straightforward overall.

There was at least 5/8” of side-to-side position play in the pedal mount which I’d pushed all the way left with three zip ties years ago, so this also allowed me to get a proper spacer in there for that.

Pics, pretty straightforward to see how it worked.

Can’t wait to put the miles on this now, the position is miles better than ever before (it would bend immediately out of “ideal” and then take a while to get to “problem”)
2AE349C8-183A-43DE-9EA1-9AEE602493C1.jpeg D9A9C652-6A79-4BEB-B1ED-E193E30FC436.jpeg 7163D968-2EAD-4884-B1AE-AECD630438A6.jpeg 79081AF1-39DD-4237-B7AD-39DC8F589A99.jpeg

mhinchliffe

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
W-S
State
NC
For some reason your crooked gas pedal fix reminds me of a kickstand on a bike that would always fall down. Seems like your pedal would be in a different spot every other day.
Nice work on the fix......necessity is the mother of all

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
For some reason your crooked gas pedal fix reminds me of a kickstand on a bike that would always fall down. Seems like your pedal would be in a different spot every other day.
Appropriate comparison. It’s insane that it took me this long to finally do something about it.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
On one of my Jeeps, I cut a piece of wood and put it between the firewall and pedal assembly to get more travel.

City
Halifax
State
UK
As a side note if you think the accelerator position is bad on the RHD 8 when they imported the RHD CJ5s and 6s in the 70s they swapped all the emergency brake mechanism over as well to the right hand foot well in a mirror position to the LHD.
So not only did you lose valuable accelerator space and had something sharp to rub your ankle and foot on ,if you wanted to actually apply the emergency brake then you had to take your foot off the normal brake to use it.
Probably why they went to the handbrake between the seats style on the later ones as it was as much use as a chocolate teapot.

bigwalton

Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
It’s taking some serious getting used to, but I’m loving the new pedal setup so far. A drive like today (~7 hours) at highway speed would have definitely required at least one reach down to “pull up” the pedal.

With where it is now I can position my leg/foot in different ways to make it easier on me. Before, there really was just the one bad position that got progressively worse as it bent down and out.