• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

All New Interior - Seats, Roll Bar, Carpet, Console

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
I just finished a ton of work on the interior of my Scrambler...
  • Added YJ "Family" style roll bar and new Bestop roll bar pad
  • New carpet for front section
  • New carpet for rear section
  • New Herculiner
  • New Tuffy Console with stealth 8" 300 watt woofer
  • New 6x9 speakers in the rear
  • New Bestop Seats
  • New seat belts now with 3 point harness front and rear
  • New Soft Top (I'll make a separate thread for that later)
20180519_111016.jpg

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
Bestop seats front and rear. They appear to be good quality. I wish the head rests on the rear seat were taller.

20180519_111033.jpg
20180519_111325.jpg

I also wish they didn't put the "B" right there. I really dislike having other people's logos on my stuff.

Notice the difference in seat bracket height. I believe it was in 1991 that the YJ's started added sliders to the passenger's seats. So, in order to compensate, the factory made the brackets 1" lower. The Bestop seats are thicker (higher) than the factory CJ seats, so I needed to lower everything 1". I installed a 1993 YJ bracket with no slider and it worked out for me.

20180319_162147.jpg

20180519_111204.jpg

I fabricated my own brackets for the driver's side. That way I could add a slider and not be 1" too tall.

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
My original console was homemade. It worked, but I wanted something that looked a little more professional. I got the 10" wide Tuffy box and it fits just right. I cut an 8" hole in the bottom to add my woofer. I added a "false floor" to the box to give me a sealed chamber in the bottom and an open chamber in the top. My bass amp is really too big, but hey, if it's too loud, you're too old.

20180519_111213.jpg20180519_111243.jpg20180519_111257.jpg

I added two 6x9's in the rear. I had to trim off a little of the boxes, but no big deal.

20180519_111113.jpg

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
I added new carpet that you can get pre-formed (I think it's the same for CJ-5/7). What I REALLY like is the outdoor carpet I added to the back section. Bed Rug - It's very cushiony...

20180519_111356.jpg

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
The YJ roll bar worked out good. The Bestop roll bar cover is very nice quality (although a pain to install). I did have to add some rubber blocks to the back on the fender wells. When I mounted the roll bar directly to the fender wells, the bars that attach to the windshield were too short. Once I raised the roll bar up, the front bars fit perfect. I put some nutserts in the windshield and it all worked out pretty good. If I was really picky, I'd have bent the end of the flange where it mates to the windshield, but it's OK as is for me.

20171226_143738.jpg
20171226_143702.jpg20180519_111058.jpg20180519_142341.jpg

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
All I need to do now is add some interior lights.

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Wow, that's a lot of work. Nicely done! Good to know about the YJ seat brackets. Could you have used the a YJ driver side bracket for your situation too? Did the YJ cage give you any more room than stock to recline your seats? Any issues folding down the soft top with the YJ cage?

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
Wow, that's a lot of work. Nicely done! Good to know about the YJ seat brackets. Could you have used the a YJ driver side bracket for your situation too? Did the YJ cage give you any more room than stock to recline your seats? Any issues folding down the soft top with the YJ cage?

You can use the YJ driver seat brackets on a CJ with only very few modifications. However, the CJ's usually came with a seat slider as did the YJ's. So, the result is that if you use the Bestop seat, you will be approximately 1" higher. The Bestop seat cushion is thicker than the original Jeep seats. I used a new seat bracket from Quadratec for the drivers side, and it was too high when I added the slider. I decided it was better to build my own non-movable seat bracket (that is approximately 1 inch lower than stock), add the riser, and be in a more comfortable position. My eyes are essentially in the middle of the windshield and my head doesn't hit the soft top roof. Other's may not mind the extra inch, but it bothered me.

You are correct that I can't recline my seats all the way. I knew that going in, so it wasn't a big deal to me. I can recline it plenty enough for driving comfort, but not enough to take a nap.

I have no issues with the soft top interfering with the new roll bar.

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI
Ah, I understand now on the seat frames. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Are you running the stock steering wheel? Do you have plenty of distance now between the wheel and seat cushion?

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
Ah, I understand now on the seat frames. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Are you running the stock steering wheel? Do you have plenty of distance now between the wheel and seat cushion?

I have a stock steering column and wheel set up. I have plenty of room to get into my seat. I'm not a real big guy, though.