• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Aluminum Slot Lug Nut problem

flashover604

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Lancaster
State
Oh
Hi all. Long time no see. I finally got a set of tires to throw on my 1975 Levi Edition Aluminum 5 Slot Mag wheels that are going on my Scrambler. My problem now is the Lug Nuts. I ordered a set of 1/2”-20 RH shank lug nuts that have a 0.55” long shank. The problem is the WIDTH of the shank. They're 0.68” wide but won’t fit through the holes in the wheels. I can’t find a narrower shank and I’d like to avoid having to ream/drill the holes out on the wheels. Does anyone have any ideas where I could find a set of the correct lug nuts?

Thanks in advance!

Zach

Attachments

• 1BC80CE5-B793-4624-B082-B06D8757BE0C.jpeg
    1BC80CE5-B793-4624-B082-B06D8757BE0C.jpeg
    494.9 KB · Views: 25

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Could just be the photo, but something looks odd about those wheels. Looks like too much space between the lug hole and the center hole. Are you sure they're made for a Jeep 5-5.5 lug pattern? What's the diameter of the center hole?

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Are these wheels supposed to use a shanked lug nut?

I'm not using them on mine... actually, I never even thought about it. :shrug:

flashover604

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Lancaster
State
Oh
Speig, they are a 5x5.5 off of a 1975 CJ5. I’ve slid them onto the lugs to check clearance on the front caliper. The center hole is the large hole for CJs.

CJ7 Pilot, these wheels don’t have the 60° bevel for an acorn/conical lug nut. I have always known the aluminum mag style wheels to use a shank lug nut.

Maybe I’m wrong, that would be great.

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
What did you end up using?

I'm using beveled lug nuts, but I don't know if I should be. Here's a photo of my lug nut seat:

lug seat - 1.jpeg

It's got a bevel, but I don't know if it is original, or added by some previous owner. The edges aren't mushroomed, so at least the beveled seat wasn't formed by mistake.... ;)

These slot mags also came from a 70s CJ5.

flashover604

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Lancaster
State
Oh
Sorry about not updating this. I was an idiot. They were regular acorn style lug nuts. They do not use the shank style lug nuts.

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
You weren't being an idiot, it was a valid concern. I'm glad it came up, because I learned something new about lug nuts. :thumbsup: