• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Am/fm/cb wiring

Chipster1990

Back in the game!!
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Birmingham
State
AL
I am trying to install a factory AMC radio/cb combination. I have the power wiring figured out, it's the speaker wiring that's giving me trouble. On the left side of the unit, where the power wires come out, there is also a green, white, and black wire. On the right side there is another three-wire set, black, green, and white with a black trace. I know these are all speaker wires but in what flavor??
Below is the left side (I removed the connector)
ac6a485907db14772df1adf4b1501fac-1.jpg

Below is the right side with connector still attached.

1f12a848af3f425c32cd0a881cc1f481-1.jpg

Please help identify which wires are for which speakers!!

Thanks,
Chip

mr. boh

CJ-8 Member
City
Annapolis
State
MD
wire colors may be different but this should help:

Brown: + Left rear
Dark Blue: + Right rear
Black w/white tracer: - Rear right and left (share same wire)

White: + Front right
Green: + Front left
Black: - Front left and right (share same wire)

Orange: dash light
Light Brown(tan): Switched positive
Black: Ground

Chipster1990

Back in the game!!
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Birmingham
State
AL
I think I figured it out. It may not be wired exactly correct but it all works including the CB!

a2f6aaa2c41dc736ff3646685e161907-1.jpg

mr. boh

CJ-8 Member
City
Annapolis
State
MD
Looks good (including the gauges)! Did you have to remove your defroster duct to get it to fit?

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Looks good (including the gauges)! Did you have to remove your defroster duct to get it to fit?

This, and also, did you wire it as mr boh indicated above?

I really need to get moving on the one I have.

Chipster1990

Back in the game!!
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Birmingham
State
AL
Yes, I had to remove the duct to get it in but I think I can get the duct work back in once I finish all the wiring.

As far as the wiring, the wiring colors did not match up at all with Mr. Boh's suggestions. I'm still trying to finalize the speaker wiring. I'll let you know what the final solutions is!

Chipster1990

Back in the game!!
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Birmingham
State
AL
Question...
The tuning knob on the right of the radio...the secondary knob (silver one behind the main tuning knob) appears to be the "fade" control.
Does anyone know which direction (clockwise/counter-clockwise) would fade all the sound to the front?
This will solve my speaker wiring dilemma!!
Thanks.
Once I get it all wired up correctly, I'll let everyone know the wire colors and functions!!

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
*Usually* fade to the front is counter-clockwise, to the rear is clockwise. *Usually*

Chipster1990

Back in the game!!
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Birmingham
State
AL
Ok. I got it installed and working. Here is the wiring on my am/fm/cb combo!

Looking at the radio from the front, there are two sets of speaker wires. The ones on the left side of the radio are the front speaker outputs. Green + Left, white + right, black is - for both. The speakers wires on the right side are for the rear speakers. Same color combo except the white one here has a black trace on it.

The power wires are:
Brown +12 v
Orange is dash lighting
Black is ground.

I hope this helps if someone has the same radio.

I also installed an "Out of Sight Audio" Mark III unit. It allows Bluetooth streaming and will work with or without the radio. It works real nice and super easy to install!!

Oh yeah, I installed Rockford Fosgate 5 1/4" speakers in the stock dash locations. Doesn't sound the greatest but they fit easily!!

45d73ac3a37b82a5f9db4a9ee8f68810-1.jpg

8e12055732bd80d8c518b6c35d3eb195-1.jpg

1a553e9f2d7525610e87ddfa2b82618c-1.jpg

2f68855ceba8d99ee6aa617d46f1695d-1.jpg

a3fb2723904cbdb740a629f5e85e909f-1.jpg

Last edited:

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
You have a picture of that Bluetooth adapter? Was thinking of doing the same thing..

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
I used a scosche FM modulator to run my ipod through my FM radio. Plugs in through the antenna. I put in a tiny toggle switch to flip it on, an then I put the radio on 88.1.

Some folks have put baffles on the dash speakers that cover the back and it's supposed to help with the sound. I've been planning on it but haven't gotten around to it.

Chipster1990

Back in the game!!
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Birmingham
State
AL
You have a picture of that Bluetooth adapter? Was thinking of doing the same thing..

The third photo in my last post is the "Out of Sight Audio" unit sitting behind my glove box. I'll get you some more photos tonight.

Chipster1990

Back in the game!!
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Birmingham
State
AL
I used a scosche FM modulator to run my ipod through my FM radio. Plugs in through the antenna. I put in a tiny toggle switch to flip it on, an then I put the radio on 88.1.

Some folks have put baffles on the dash speakers that cover the back and it's supposed to help with the sound. I've been planning on it but haven't gotten around to it.

I put the foam baffles behind the speakers too. I'll photo that as well!!

Chipster1990

Back in the game!!
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Birmingham
State
AL
The Bluetooth behind the glove box.

3b6f46dee1501524781732d051d0b0b0-1.jpg

50113459a2992dc18c37ad988e1c5540-1.jpg

And the foam baffle around speakers!

a4a8395234177ad0c643129875a19653-1.jpg

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
Found them on eBay and the unit. It say it can be used without a radio also. Cool little setup..

Chipster1990

Back in the game!!
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Birmingham
State
AL
Where did u find the baffles. And do help out?

Got the baffles from Crutchfield. I never had speakers without them so don't know how much they help. I mainly got them to protect the speakers from the occasional drop of water from somewhere in the windshield frame!

464975f30ae1ba6f0d6c7b713895eb59-1.jpg

I got the slim version. 2 1/2" deep.

Last edited:

Rejackson21

Basic User
City
Spring Hill
State
TN
Hey Chipster, did you happen to create a wiring diagram for the Mark 3? I'm trying to figure out where the wires go for the unit based off of this picture. Does the CB automatically go through the speakers? Did you install amps? Did you only use the 2 stock speaker locations or do you have more than 2?
e6bb4d1642fe313a50c472938a8804a1-1.jpg

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
I know this sounds really bad and I don't mean to be rude or ugly but I'm wondering why go through all this trouble to still have a bad sounding system? I don't need bluetooth that bad.
I must have missed something along the way.

Last edited: