AMC 20 3:55 gears, worth the effort??

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Wilbur by the Sea
State
FL
I'm scrapping out the axles from my old 81 scrambler. It had the narrow AMC 20/Dana 30 with 3:55 gears. I'm keeping the driveshafts as spares because my newer scrambler has the same narrow axles. Are the 3:55 worth trying to sell? I've removed the ring and pinion gears from the diff and have seperated the rings from the carrier.

They were the oem set up with the 151 and sr4 combo. They were used without issue with a 258 and eventually the 360.

Just wondering if they're worth the effort or ditch em.

Thanks

JEEPTHRILLS

Legacy Registered User
City
State
If you hadnt yanked them apart...I would have kept them...at least for spares. When the decision was made for me to drive my Scram daily...the 4.10's and 33's were a bit overkkill. I happened to get lucky and found the matched set of 3.55's in housings which reside under my rig now and mated with the 31's...is a perfect combo for 18+ mpg with the t-5.
Since they are out...toss em'

surfjeepzx

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Wilbur by the Sea
State
FL
I kept the axles front and rear. Tossed the housings and gears. Just want to make sure I dont have a bent axle before I toss them too.

revho

$9.00 vanilla malt
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
beaverdam
State
MI
If you hadnt yanked them apart...I would have kept them...at least for spares. When the decision was made for me to drive my Scram daily...the 4.10's and 33's were a bit overkkill. I happened to get lucky and found the matched set of 3.55's in housings which reside under my rig now and mated with the 31's...is a perfect combo for 18+ mpg with the t-5.
Since they are out...toss em'
Just a comment on 4:10's with a t-5, I absolutely love the ratio in our CJ-7 with the 258. Can run comfortably down the highway at 70mph with little effort.