• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

AMC 20 Differential One Piece Axle Kit and Detroit TrueTrac

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
I'm slowly building up my '84. I'm installing a 5.3 V8 and I figure the stock AMC 20 differential is going to blow up at some point.

What's the best 1 piece axle kit out there? Prices range from $250 - $350. I'd like a kit that includes everything (so I'm not stuck ordering more parts). I also don't want to break the bank.

How difficult is it to install these? I've looked at some installation instructions, and it doesn't seem that bad. Biggest issue seems to be having a press and slide hammer.

To complicate matters further, I want to also install a Detroit TrueTrac limited slip. I already have a lunchbox locker in the front (and it's awesome by the way). Any reason I can't install the Truetrac with one piece axles? How difficult is it to install this thing?

Kane

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
I used Moser in my AMC 20 and it survived 15 years of small block chevy abuse with no hiccups. Moser will replace there shafts for free no questions asked. The Trutrac is an excellent posi. I have one in my Dana 44 and love it but just like any full carrier swap it need to be setup and shimmed correctly so if you are not comfortable with gear swap rebuilds then take it to a shop that can do the job for you. Now is the time to get a master rebuild kits and freshen up the bearings and seals.

mwqpd11

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
Can’t remeber what brand I used but was name brand. No issues at all 4.10 gears and Detroit locker and 35 s

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
Can’t remeber what brand I used but was name brand. No issues at all 4.10 gears and Detroit locker and 35 s
Are you talking about a true "lunchbox" locker or the limited slip "Truetrac"? So how's that working out for you? I've read some folks recommend only putting a selectable locker or limited slip in the rear as a true locker gets a little squirrely on the street.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
With the wheelbase of the scrambler a full locker should be fine. I ran a lockrite locker in a CJ5 for a few years and it was mostly ok but winter driving made the rear end want to pass me all the time when turning.

Ron84cj

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
I have an Aussie locker in my scrambler and I love it! I do daily my Jeep as well. Most of the time I never notice it back there. Mainly in parking lots and drive throughs it clicks and clunks a little. Nothing bad at all. As far as one piece axles, I put in ten factory axles. I bought them from quadratec for $195 for the whole kit. Very easy to install and from what I have been told they are good about their warranty. :twocents: