• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

AMC 20 Traclock noise

caballogris

Basic User
City
TORRELLES DE LLOBREGAT
State
Ba
Hey guys... My Scrambler rear axle started to "clap-clap" at the rear, at the moment when I'm going down, without gas... OK, I inspected differential and noticed some play at the discs... then I changed it, changed oil and.... perferct!!! Only during 1000 km, now have the noise again!!! It will drive me crazy......

Has anyone had the same problem??? its a matter of oil (additive or not)??? I added a high grade (and expensive!!) oil, Castrol GL5 full synthetic 85W 140. At the store saids that oil don't need friction additive... some opinion??? Council??? Thanks!!!!!

caballogris

Basic User
City
TORRELLES DE LLOBREGAT
State
Ba
Thank you for both links, but there is nothing exactly as my situation...
It sounds at some speed mostly between 40 to 60 mph, its seems to be paired with wheel revolutions... its a "clap-clap-clap" at the moment when I let the gas and start to move by inertia, but it disappears at little gas or when start to turn: itsn't a heavy knock, sounds more like you have loose the center cap of wheel (yes, I've checked it too); don't matter if its downhill or cruising. When I replaced all discs, it was perfect.... 1000 km then the noise come back again as if I hadn't done anything. U joints are good, I inspected carrier bearings when replace the discs and are OK. There is not visible wear or chattered surfaces at ring. Since I always drive, don't know if the noise sound the same at both sides of car and its more noticeable when I'm driving close to some kind of barrier or wall (by rebound). There is not vibration or other noise.... I'm thinking to disassemble (again) the carrier and take apart the pinion, to inspect both bearings too.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
The Track Lock DOES take an additive. I don't care if the bottle of gear oil say that it is for a LSD, you HAVE to use the Track Lock additive :twocents:

Not sure if the Track lock is causing your issue, but it does need the additive to function correctly :twocents:

Mancunian

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
City
Bridgeport
State
WV
If it's wheel revolution related then it's not likely to be pinion or driveshaft related. Outboard bearings?
"When I replaced all discs, it was perfect" - you have rear discs?

caballogris

Basic User
City
TORRELLES DE LLOBREGAT
State
Ba
OK, sorry for my English, it's not as good as I want it to be:
I replaced friction discs of tracloc... I've stock drums at rear.....
I've an additive bottle to add to diff. oil. Will be the first thing that I will do soon. Thanks!!!