An Australian CJ-8 Overlander in New Jersey: Preservation/Maintenance/Improvements

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Most of you know about the mechanically-challenged adventure of getting the Overlander from Oklahoma to NJ and many states in between last year - but for those who don't, here is a link to that thread, and with lots of pics: http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31173&highlight=oz&page=2

Since the title of that thread really doesnt apply anymore, I thought I would make a new, update thread, here. I have been doing alot to it since last fall, and have many more things to do in anticipation of a long road trip to Sandblast in MI this summer.

Here is a current Garage Shot:

IMG_3192 by jerseyjeeps, on Flickr

The first project I just finished tackling was to treat some rust under the feet of the roll bar. Luckily, It is the only spots on the whole Jeep, and is very common rust spot where the factory didnt paint under there. Mine was worse because an aftermarket carpet install years ago they put the carpet under the rollbar and sandwiched it there, where it would get wet and retain moisture:

IMG_2949 by jerseyjeeps, on Flickr

The rollbar was all nicked up as well after 285,000 kilometers of use, another reason to do this project. But the main reason was to stop this rust dead in its tracks. It didnt make it to the outer body edges, thank goodness, but it was VERY close by the rear feet.

IMG_2993 by jerseyjeeps, on Flickr

Here is the underside of that same rear foot however, with the bodyside seams not effected. This one was the worst of the four.

IMG_2972 by jerseyjeeps, on Flickr

There was a surprising amount of rust back there, and in some places all the way through. All torx bolts came out no issue though. Found lots of australian sand in the supports underneath, and all over the place under the carpet, too, definately used on the beach (as the orig thread pics show!)

IMG_3008 by jerseyjeeps, on Flickr

The challenge was to move the rollbar up and forward instead of taking the top off and taking it out. The top is on there and sealed up so well, I didnt even want to consider it. So... I was able to use a ratchet strap to just bring the feet in enough to move it forward enough to move it into the front seats area.... used a hammer drill to knock the rust off the bottom of the rollbar, along with the dremel and angle grinder where possible, it was pretty tight to get to though, and many hours went into just removing rust and treating the underside of the feet, without making a huge mess of the interior or getting paint anywhere else. I used por 15 and then some non matched white paint I had leftover on top of that.

IMG_3126 by

IMG_3135 by jerseyjeeps, on Flickrjerseyjeeps, on Flickr

Roll Bar Back in place, sittling on blocks....

IMG_3148 by jerseyjeeps, on Flickr

IMG_3149 by jerseyjeeps, on Flickr

IMG_3197 by jerseyjeeps, on Flickr

Next up is a final coat of paint on the rollbar, putting the carpet back in, and bolting the rollbar back down.

Last edited:

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Wow, it sounded like quite a job when you were describing it to me on the phone, the pics make it look even more difficult! Good job though!

Kane

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
i could look at pictures of that jeep all day. Even the rusty parts.

Jambo

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cincinnati
State
OH
I'd have wet dreams about this jeep, but I know you don't want it to rust. ;)

Seriously, nice job. Beautiful rig.

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Overlander

Always lots of fun working in tight spots and underneath.

So did U get rid of the roll bar cover?

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
i could look at pictures of that jeep all day. Even the rusty parts.
I'd have wet dreams about this jeep, but I know you don't want it to rust. ;)

Seriously, nice job. Beautiful rig.

Ha ha...those posts gave me a laugh...thanks for the encouragement! :woot:

Always lots of fun working in tight spots and underneath.

So did U get rid of the roll bar cover?
I still have it but am gonna go with a nutmeg one or none at all... the one that was on there was a creamy colored vinyl and was also velcro, it didnt look that great.

While fitting other used ones I have , I have noticed the only way it works is a CJ-7 roll bar pad without the padding...the reason being the roll bar is 3" in diameter instead of 2.5"... and also the fitment isnt quite right due to the different angles of the roll bar, even though it is close. I have a so so nutmeg CJ-7one, but havent found anything in really good shape....so I may go without one at all.

Anyone know if there was ever a Jeep SE roll bar pad for the scrambler 3" roll bar?? Or even afermarket? If it was really padded, I would think it would look too bulky, and not that great anyway. I also would be surprised they would do that as full tops werent offered from the factory...who would want a padded roll bar outside in the bed area?

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Was the rollbar pad an option on the overlanders? You might have to search in OZ or S. America.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I would say it was, as the pics in this brochure show. Mine looks to be factory as it is very well made and the vinyl has the same texture and same stamps on the inside that we see on the vinyl on other CJ seats, etc, but the color is definately not nutmeg...and it also has no padding whatsoever.

Brochu2mlgilder by jerseyjeeps, on Flickr

Brochure1mlgilder by jerseyjeeps, on Flickr

AusCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Melbourne, Australia
State
AU
Looking Good Eric. Looks so good all nice and cleaned up.

Funny how the bed on a Scrambler looks (and is) short, yet with the overlander top on it, it looks like such a big wagon!

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Agreed... when you described it on the phone, I wasn't seeing this in my head... very cool, very nice as always.

cb

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Roll Bar and Rear Seat in

Got some more work done, roll bar feet painted to match, carpet cleaned up and back in, and rollbar bolted down. And what is not shown, treating surface rust underneath, and under the front rollbar support brackets, scraping loose rust, and treating with por-15. Also, while the carpet was out, I touched up some scratches on the inside of the top, and on the rear door and the humps back there. For now, I reused the aftermarket carpet that came with it, mainly 'cause it is in great shape and also its still glued to the wheel wells and bed sides and would have been a pain to remove. Ill save that job for another time, if and when I ever find an oem world cab nutmeg full rear carpet kit! ;)

IMG_2662 by jerseyjeeps, on Flickr

IMG_2646 by jerseyjeeps, on Flickr

Next up was the rear seat, and thanks to Lee on these boards, I was able to purchase the excellent OEM rear seat shown here, and I am on my way to replacing all of the seats with the correct nutmeg denim. I painted up a set of brackets for the seat, too, and still have to install the seatbelts.

IMG_2698 by jerseyjeeps, on Flickr

This weekend I'll put the new front seats in and start driving it again, it was around November that I last got to do that. Next on the list are some door repairs and other work up front, including a stealth power window kit for the left hand door, dash refresh/restore like bobbysjeep did, and reworking the underdash A/C. I dont know how much of these I will get done before the Scrambler gathering at Sandblast in August, but i feel better now that the big job I wanted to finish is done before blasting around in the sand and roadtriping it in possible rain storms.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
So that carpet was original? Looks good.

I really, really, really like that Jeep. Just sayin.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I'd missed this thread before, looks great!

I dont know how much of these I will get done before the Scrambler gathering at Sandblast in August, but i feel better now that the big job I wanted to finish is done before blasting around in the sand and roadtriping it in possible rain storms.
I love that there's no "if", "maybe" or "possibly" in there anywhere other than talking about the weather WHEN you come over for this! :thumbsup:

bobbysjeep

Legacy Registered User
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Did you use the aerosol paint that you where telling me about to finish the roll bar feet? What was the name of the manufacture?

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
So that carpet was original? Looks good.

I really, really, really like that Jeep. Just sayin.
The carpet was replaced at some point in Australia with what you see here. When new, It would have had nutmeg carpet like what we have here in the US, with the same velcro hook tapes instead of glued in, in fact, I found some of them remaining under this carpet...In the World Cab, you would get full rear factory carpet, including the wheel wells and cargo area sides. That is long gone in mine, so this is what I have. Its in really good shape tho, so I'm gonna run it for now. I would really like to find some Nutmeg NOS World Cab carpet some day :rolleyes:

I don't think mine has a cover. That's a damn nice overlander. Shame it didn't stay in oz!!!
Thanks! Sorry it couldnt stay. I must say however it was advertised in OZ for more than a month with no local bites ;)

Looking really good Eric!
Thanks Josh!

I'd missed this thread before, looks great!

I love that there's no "if", "maybe" or "possibly" in there anywhere other than talking about the weather WHEN you come over for this! :thumbsup:
Fingers crossed! :woot:

Did you use the aerosol paint that you where telling me about to finish the roll bar feet? What was the name of the manufacture?
Yes, thats a custom mixed of spray can of Olympic White from Tower Paint company in WI... Mixed as enamel, and not base/clear, but you can get it both ways.

Bogged

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Sydney
State
NS
The sides should be carpeted cardboard. The wheel covers will have Velcro but the main carpet should just be sitting there. Well that's what was/is in mine now and it was the Laredo edition.