• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

and so it begins...

wimps81096

CJ-8 Member
City
white lake
State
MI
original post : https://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?35214-accidentally-bought-another-one

Those were my thoughts many years ago when i was just beginning my house restoration. Now it is mostly done and here we go with my first ever jeep project. I found out my early assessment of "not as bad as it looks" was way off. It was worse than it looked (deep down i already knew that).

Already have the newish frame. Gotta do some prep work to make sure it STAYS rust free. Gonna start the rebuild of the engine (which actually runs with no knocking or odd noises, just precautionary), the trans which hasn't moved in about 20 years and the axles.

Attachments

• 4692(1).jpg
    4692(1).jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 287
  • Part_1(2).jpg
    Part_1(2).jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 288
  • 20180302_172415.jpg
    20180302_172415.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 294
  • 20180302_170352.jpg
    20180302_170352.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 288
  • 20180302_170303.jpg
    20180302_170303.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 294
  • 20180414_153204.jpg
    20180414_153204.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 290
  • 20180414_160544.jpg
    20180414_160544.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:

jammer1

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Maple Hts.
State
Oh
My cj8 build started similar to yours. Ended up with another tub and frame. Sometimes it's easier and last's longer finding these parts in better condition.

wimps81096

CJ-8 Member
City
white lake
State
MI
Jammer1, Thanks for the input. Would love to see where yours started and what it looks like now.

the things listed above are literally the ONLY things I'm keeping besides a few little detail items, grill, lights, pedals steering components, roll bar, seat belts, doors and other miscellaneous what not. The frame I have is really in great shape and will be a great place to start. The tub, will also be new. The only useful part of the tub is the Vin so it wasn't really an option. Pretty much everything i take off the engine block will be new. In the end just about everything will be either completely new or completely reconditioned. I am no glutton for punishment

masscj2a

Rebuilding America's Jeep
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
WOW, that frame is worse than most I have seen and I live in Massachusetts, the leading rust belt state in the country. I don't think its even solid enough to turn in for scrap.

wimps81096

CJ-8 Member
City
white lake
State
MI
Hey Masscj2a, I am glad i finally get to be the best at something.

The pictures don't really do justice to how many holes there are. at least half of each rail is missing on both sides. when i get it freed up Im gonna flip it over and post a video. When i found it, it was sitting on the ground without tires and the guy was pushing it around with a bobcat.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
:popcorn:

Still need to get over there to see this monstrosity in person.

jsteed

CJ-8 Member
City
Seattle
State
WA
This is a massive project! I want to see you restore that original frame... that one would take some good welding skills. :popcorn:

dmorolli

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Sterling Heights
State
MI
My frame was worse than that, luckily I found a nice frame that required minor repair. The tub looks decent, much better than I started with.

wimps81096

CJ-8 Member
City
white lake
State
MI
This is a massive project! I want to see you restore that original frame... that one would take some good welding skills. :popcorn:

believe me... i have NO intentions of keeping that frame. I doubt the salvage will take it for scrap

wimps81096

CJ-8 Member
City
white lake
State
MI
New frame is out of storage, media blasted and off getting galvanized. I figured this was the best way to fight michigans rustiness. The garage has been cleared and is getting ready for painting the frame. Looking forward to building UP this winter instead of just tearing down.

wimps81096

CJ-8 Member
City
white lake
State
MI
Moving forward on the '83 rebuild. New (1982) frame, minor repair, sand blast and then galvanized, had it dipped so galvanized inside and out. Ready to clean a few threads and then paint. Hoping the Galvanizing has the long term rust protection I expect.

Attachments

• galvanized.jpg
    galvanized.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 28

wimps81096

CJ-8 Member
City
white lake
State
MI
Galvanized, two coats of eastwood epoxy primer and 3 coats of Eastwood epoxy paint. This winters projects are to rebuild the 258, trans and axles.

Attachments

• 20181020_122506.jpg
    20181020_122506.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 11

masscj2a

Rebuilding America's Jeep
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Ware
State
MA
Well we know that frame will last longer than the universe now. I'm still looking for a good tub. I may have to pull the trigger on a MD repop

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Well we know that frame will last longer than the universe now. I'm still looking for a good tub. I may have to pull the trigger on a MD repop
Next week I'll have some time to take up close photos of mine. They take some work.

wimps81096

CJ-8 Member
City
white lake
State
MI
Engine is pulled and in for a complete rebuild. Trans and Transfer case are back from rebuild. Need to rebuild the axles, paint and put them under the new frame...looking forward to saying goodbye to the top half of the old frame. The bottom half say "bye bye" a long time ago.

Attachments

• just frame.jpg
    just frame.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 23
  • engine and tranny.jpg
    engine and tranny.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 24
  • tranny transer torque conv.jpg
    tranny transer torque conv.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 23

wimps81096

CJ-8 Member
City
white lake
State
MI
Summer progress. Slow and steady.

AMC 20 and Dana 30's rebuilt- Two piece axles replaced with one piece, 2:73 ratios changed to 4:10. New rotors, drums and calipers. Thanks bigwalton for some sage advice on this.

Suspension is mostly in. 4 in lift. Waiting on steering box parts, fuel and brake lines to complete.

Complete engine rebuild. Odometer read 83,000 but it looked like it was at least 183,000, probably typical. Traded the 4.2 head for a 4.0. Installing the engine, rebuilt trans and rebuilt Dana 300 this winter. Fuel injection in the spring.

Tub is purchased and taking up too much space in my garage. It's a never built Willy's Overlander repo tub with all the problems worked out. I wasn't ready for it but it came with a project being parted out. New they are $4,900, I was able to sell off the rest of the project parts and ended up only $1800 into the tub. Too good to pass up. I guess it's worth having to work around it and a little extra garage clutter.

Attachments

• engine rebuilt.jpeg
    engine rebuilt.jpeg
    147.2 KB · Views: 33
  • new tub.jpeg
    new tub.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Resized_20191127_213117.jpeg
    Resized_20191127_213117.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 34

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Excellent :cheers:

You should put out the word for work days ;)