• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Another truck thread. What about the new Canyon as a tow vehicle?

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
Lifetime Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
Okay, I'm not ready to jump yet, but I want to have an idea if I have to decide suddenly and I sure would appreciate some advice from the experienced tow jockeys here :thumbsup:

I looking at the new Colorado mid-size truck. Besides being a semi-occasional driver, I'd like to be able to tow the Scrambler and my TT after I (someday) convert it to a track day car. I believe the Colorado is spec'd at 7000 lbs. I've towed small things, but never anything as big as the Scrambler. Will this be more than sufficient?

FYI, I'm trying to stay away from the full size to make it more comfortable to park and for occasional times where my wife drives it.

LetchcoreCJ7

Legacy Registered User
City
Nashville
State
TN
Well if you figure a 2000lb trailer and a 4000lb scrambler plus gear that will put you really close to the 7000. If it's for short pulls and not in the mountains you may be alright. Long hauls with hills I wouldn't consider anything but a 1/2 ton.

YJ_Aaron

Basic User
City
Ozark
State
MO
Do your research on the in line cylinder heads on those engines. They get the same mileage as 1/2 ton, but I know you said size was more of a concern.

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
It has been my experience that if you tow a TT after a while you tend to get a bigger TT and after some more time an even bigger TT. I think I would consider a bigger truck to start with. Parking and driving a full size pickup is not that hard to get used to. I drive a 4 door long bed dually and only once in a while I have to find a spot a ways out to park it and walk a bit. If you have either trailer hooked up your are not going to park it close any way. The larger truck will drive and perform better both going and stopping. You have better choices in the drive train, more room inside. Once you put the trailer(s) behind it you can kiss your high mph good by, your going to get better mileage most likely with a bigger truck. In an emergency/accident, I will take a bigger truck any time.

Last edited:

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I will take a bigger truck any time.

I can't second this enough... I was t-boned in an intersection in a small car 20 years ago, I have since driven trucks and larger/lifted vehicles to get off the ground so it never happens again.
I like being able to see above and ahead of me from the truck, I like the feel/comfort of a larger vehicle and also the capability to haul whatever I want to whenever.
It is all personal choice and experience though, and it is hard to predict the future as to what those needs will be, so that is why I look to the past :)

cb

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I had a 2005 Colorado with the 5 cylinder and i towed motorcycles with it regularly. I towed a 19 foot travelstar trailer and had a motorcycle in the bed along with gear and my wife in the truck. I had airbag levelers, heavy duty transmission cooler and a trailer brake and the truck did just fine averaging 14 mpg while towing. I would tow this from CT to New Jersey Motorsports park which was 250 miles each way. If you only plan to tow a few times a year I think the truck will do just fine but if you plan to tow this type of weight monthly then get a full size.

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
Just realised that in a roundabout sort of way i think my Isuzu Dmax is a relation of these isnt it??
Just attach a different grill and put a Diesel engine in and Voila!

20130825_132928.jpg

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
Lifetime Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
Just realised that in a roundabout sort of way i think my Isuzu Dmax is a relation of these isnt it??
Just attach a different grill and put a Diesel engine in and Voila!

View attachment 46006

Yes, 1st cousins I would estimate. I "think" Isuzu uses their own engine from my quick research.

Now as to diesel, we're supposed to get one in the Colorado eventually, but in America they add huge uplifts for diesel engines. I recently priced a full size truck online and it was $6K more upcharge for the diesel. Is it the same way in the UK?

Nice looking truck, BTW :headbang:

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
I can only buy the 1 engine on the Dmax in the UK, but its a very nice Isuzu 2.5litre super clean twin turbo jobbie, no petrol version available at all.
Mine is easily doing 32 mpg(UK mpg) at the moment which will be 38 mpg in US terms and tows the 6 with its trailer on,all the family and all the camping gear no problem.(It wont do 32mpg then though!)

Strangely its rated at 3500 K.gs towing here, which using the "Google" converter is 7716 pounds so slightly more for some reason.
(3500 K.gs is the maximum you can tow anyway in the U.K with a trailer on a normal car license).

As for surcharges, yes generally diesel cars cost more to buy here too and diesel itself is slightly more expensive than petrol as its taxed more for some peculiar reason.

53D Scrambler

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Hampstead
State
NC
to the OP...I think you will be fine. Most 16' car haulers are less than 1500 lbs with a flat wood bed, less if they are open in the middle. With an EBC in the truck and electronic brakes on the trailer you won't have to worry about being pushed through intersections when trying to stop.

I have a '13 Tacoma and love it, I have yet to tow the Scrambler with it however. But the mid-sized trucks are just perfect for me and my family currently. You may want to hang on for the 2nd or 3rd model year of the Colorado, GM may be putting in a 4cyl Turbo Diesel.