Any concerns with buying a Jeep that was towed behind an RV?

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
I'm looking at a Jeep that seems like a pretty good deal. The owner says some of the mileage was behind an RV on vacations. It seems pretty sound from my quick inspection. Looks all stock... even the rear axle is standard equipment (no full floater). I don't know if there is anything special I should look at in a towed vehicle (the owner has already removed the tow bar)?

timo439

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Portsmouth
State
NH
What year is the jeep? If its a TJ, I'd be skeptical of that reason for the mileage. I know that if the fuse for the instrument cluster is out in a TJ, mileage will not accumulate. This would imply that if the car is not running, it would also not accumulate.

Doc Savage

Basic User
City
Huntsville
State
AL
Hard to say without knowing the model/year. TJ shouldn't have accumulated mileage being towed (if towed properly). We towed my 98TJ and 05 unlimited behind our motorhome. Neither accumulated mileage while towed when the transmission is in gear and transfer case in neutral. I put several thousand miles on the unlimited behind the motorhome and had over 150K on it when we donated it to a mission (which is still driving it daily).

Now on a CJ things aren't as easy to setup flat towing and checking the rear transfercase bearing is a good idea. I've heard horror stories flat towing CJs and others that had no issues. I will be unlocking hubs and disconnecting my rear driveshaft when I flat tow my Scrambler. We are planning our first trip with it, and it will be on the trailer again. So far I've only towed it on the trailer.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Sorry, I should have stated it is a CJ6. Owner said he would pull the rear driveshaft on long drives but wouldn't bother if they were only going a few hours between stops so it did accumulate some miles on the odometer. He also mentioned they had recently replaced the windshield as it was pitted from sand/gravel kicked up by the RV.