• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Anybody here run a 4bt or other diesel?

mchoward48

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Venice
State
FL
I’m on the final large change of my build, swapping out the 258 for a more fuel efficient, more powerful engine. I’m torn between a VW 1.9 tdi and a Cummins 4bt. Just want to hear from people who have run the engines themselves in their Jeeps.

93_Fummins

CJ-8 Member
City
Edmond
State
OK
I don't think I would bother looking at the VW 1.9. I've talked with people who have done that swap in CJ3As and they tend to say it's really not worth it in the long run. Personally, I'd keep it between the OM617, 4BT or R2.8. The OM617 will be the biggest pain and the least rewarding, but I just really like the idea of the 5 banger oil burner for something different. The 4BT is the go-to, and for good reason, but it's price trend is pushing the cost of buying, rebuilding and modifying one REALLY close to just going straight to the R2.8 crate motor. The R2.8 is the most pricy up front, but will probably be the best supported platform from here on out, will be the quietest and smoothest, and electronic tuning capabilities make it much more user friendly for dual purpose driving styles.

Those are just my opinions though. I also would love to do a small diesel swap in my 8, but in reality....as much as it pains me to say it.....an LS swap will be much cheaper and still net massive power and efficiency gains over the AMC offerings, without most of the nuances of louder, heavier, leakier diesel offerings. I could be slightly jaded in the opinion as it seems nearly impossible to get hold of a 4BT around my area as they are often fetching more than what their 6BT brothers go for.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
There was a guy on this site that did an OM617 a few years ago and he was getting 26mpg on average. It was a tough swap and the motor is somewhat gutless. I was doing some heavy research at the time for this swap and ended up backing away from it.

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
I dont live in the US so cant advise too much but i had an Audi with the 1.9Tdi and it was a great engine, but having said that i wouldn't think about putting one in a Jeep it is definitely an engine made for a car.
If you had them over the pond then the later 2.0 Tdi they followed it with are problematic and utter garbage in comparison too, stay a long,long way from one of those.

Is there no real diesel choice other than Cummins, VW or Merc?

RanchScrambler

Basic User
City
Lampasas
State
TX
I went with a Cummins R2.8 as it weighs about the same as the AMC 258, and is far smoother/quieter/cleaner/lighter than a 4BT. I'm still waiting on a few items to get buttoned up, so I don't have any experience with it in my Jeep, but soon!

IMG_5247.JPG

mchoward48

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Venice
State
FL
The only other options I know of would be the 3.0l ecodiesel or the 2.8l duramax, or maybe the 3.0l ford that just came out, but these would all be uncharted territory. The only reason I’m staying away from the 2.8l Cummins is because I can’t stomach the initial cost.

RanchScrambler

Basic User
City
Lampasas
State
TX
The only other options I know of would be the 3.0l ecodiesel or the 2.8l duramax, or maybe the 3.0l ford that just came out, but these would all be uncharted territory. The only reason I’m staying away from the 2.8l Cummins is because I can’t stomach the initial cost.

I hear you, it's not inexpensive. However, after figuring all you get like ECM, Wiring, alternator, filtration, vacuum pump, Power steering pump, 2 Year WARRANTY, etc. with the crate motor it starts to work out financially when compared to other options. Still maybe not the dirt cheapest way to go, but possibly starts making it simpler to justify. I would doubt the 3.0 Ram or Ford or the 2.8 GM will be a simpler/cheaper/more viable alternative, but I haven't looked at that avenue, so I could be way off. Keep in mind I'm biased since I committed to the R2.8! I also have not driven it yet, so I can't speak to anything performance wise. I do think you really have to WANT a diesel engine to go this route, as it's likely that from a pure monetary standpoint that finding a GM 5.3 V-8 at a yard is going to yield the power and efficiency you desire in a more cost effective manner. Good luck!

mchoward48

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Venice
State
FL
I hear you, it's not inexpensive. However, after figuring all you get like ECM, Wiring, alternator, filtration, vacuum pump, Power steering pump, 2 Year WARRANTY, etc. with the crate motor it starts to work out financially when compared to other options. Still maybe not the dirt cheapest way to go, but possibly starts making it simpler to justify. I would doubt the 3.0 Ram or Ford or the 2.8 GM will be a simpler/cheaper/more viable alternative, but I haven't looked at that avenue, so I could be way off. Keep in mind I'm biased since I committed to the R2.8! I also have not driven it yet, so I can't speak to anything performance wise. I do think you really have to WANT a diesel engine to go this route, as it's likely that from a pure monetary standpoint that finding a GM 5.3 V-8 at a yard is going to yield the power and efficiency you desire in a more cost effective manner. Good luck!
Thanks for the input, I’ll do some more research into the Cummins 2.8 tonight

cblfhs

Quadriplegic Cj8 <3er
Lifetime Member
City
Highland Park
State
IL
My building is in the works. ISB 4bt 170 hp computer controlled Cummins with five speed Allison automatic

Attachments

• DD8EE522-21F3-44BC-833E-2046EC869521.jpeg
    DD8EE522-21F3-44BC-833E-2046EC869521.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 16
  • CF13D4C8-4373-4D21-97BC-930826C5E83B.jpeg
    CF13D4C8-4373-4D21-97BC-930826C5E83B.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 4241ECE0-72E6-42E1-AB89-F01AD9E4027B.jpeg
    4241ECE0-72E6-42E1-AB89-F01AD9E4027B.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 0B75DCDA-833F-4992-BAF6-F69B1BFD05D9.jpeg
    0B75DCDA-833F-4992-BAF6-F69B1BFD05D9.jpeg