Anyone bought a marlin recently?

craveman85

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dolgeville
State
ny
Has anyone on here bought a marlin recently ? Preferably an 1894 in 44 mag. Every time I look up marlin quality I get threads starting in the early remlin days. I'm looking to buy an 1894 but can't find an older one and I'd have to special order new. I guess if I run into issues I could run it over to remington. I drive past it maybe once a week anyways. That is unless I find a ruger semi auto 44 or an older 1894 first

Sent from my E6782

CJ7Pilot

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Hold out for what you want... the right deal will come along. Be prepared to pay a little extra, so you don't let it get away.

I missed one a few years ago because of a self-imposed 24-hour "think it over" period. I won't let that happen again! ;)

I ended up with a nice '52 model 94 .30-30, which is awesome... but I still wish I would have jumped on that Marlin .44 mag....

craveman85

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dolgeville
State
ny
I've been waiting about 3 years for either. Can't really find any. I have a 1894 in 357 but my brother kinda adopted it. He is supposed to build me a cabinet for it someday. I have 4 winchester 94s in 32 special because they usually sell cheaper and the deer can't tell the difference. I bought my first a few years ago but let my dad borrow it and it became his. Most recent was purchased from my grandfather before he passed. I believe it's dated in 1918. 32 with the button cap magazine(only goes to end of forend but has full length barrel), tang sight, and saddle ring all factory. $$$

Sent from my E6782

CJ7Pilot

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Presumably you have some flavor of .44 mag revolver to pair it with?

My dad has always been a fan of gun "combos." For as long as I can remember, he's had a Win. '94 .44 mag (oddity for sure, but they made it, and he has one) to go along with his Super Blackhawk.

I tried it for a while with a Marlin Camp Carbine .45 to go with my 1911... but when Remlin stopped supporting the camp cabines, I decided to let it go (the Marlin, not the 1911). It was fun, and super-accurate, but really not that useful for anything. The money from the Marlin bought the .30-30, which is a gun that can actually put meat on the table.

I have a .357 revolver that I REALLY like, and I'd love to find a .357 lever gun to go with it. I haven't been actively looking for one, but to me that would make a fantastic combo!

Cherish your .32 specials... if there's an iconic "meat on the table" gun of the 20th century, that's the one! The .30-30 is a close second.

Both are seriously underrated in this day and age, but if I had to choose between my 64 year old Winchester and my 4 year old AR... I'd take the Winchester in a heartbeat!

Last edited:

craveman85

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dolgeville
State
ny
No pistols yet. I've considered the idea a few times but never wanted one bad enough to jump through all the hoops. I just want a pistol cartridge to reload and might as well get a useful one.

Sent from my E6782

craveman85

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dolgeville
State
ny
I had an ar but I never liked them much. Then when gun prices started to shoot up adding here it succumbed to the wanting of a scrambler. I have 1 gun with a synthetic stock and it's only because I haven't ordered one yet.

Sent from my E6782

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Wow, when I first read the post title, I thought of the AMC Marlin.....being that the CJ8 was AMC and all that.

CJ7Pilot

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
A-haaah... New York! The one state tougher than California for gun owners. ;)

I'm sure you've already considered the .45 Long Colt... there's a WIDE range of loads that make this cartridge attractive, some more powerful than the .44 mag.

From Cowboy Action shooters to Alaskan Bear guides, the .45 LC is a favorite.

It's as versatile as the .22 LR, but on a larger scale.

My own Blackhawk (much to my dad's chagrin) is a .45 LC, that I load with 300 grain bullets.

Granted, ammo availability is not as good as a .44 mag... but when you're loading your own, it's not a factor!

Last edited:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I've had really good luck on GunBroker... But I did my homework on the sellers first!

craveman85

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dolgeville
State
ny
I didn't receive the gun that was listed and the guy deleted his account. Ended up getting the police involved on that one.

Sent from my E6782

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Ouch.

I haven't personally had experience with the Remlins. The only Marlin I have is a 39A I picked up a couple years ago, and it was made in 72.

That said, I'm on rimfirecentral quite a bit and the Remlins are not well regarded there. Supposedly quality is getting better, but time will tell on that.

Firearms are like Jeeps; the best were made some time ago, and the further along we get, the worse the new offerings are.

As with everything now, the nanny state is ruining designs left and right in an attempt to keep Darwin from eliminating stupid people.

If it were me, I'd get something pre crossbolt safety.

craveman85

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dolgeville
State
ny
I feel like 80% of the remlin talk is just people not owning one and spreading opinion they here online. Everyone's a keyboard expert on something now even if they've never owned one.

Sent from my E6782

craveman85

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dolgeville
State
ny
I found a place that has an 1894 and a 95 both recent production. Both seem to cycle
Good for a factory gun. Fit and finish wasn't bad on either. In fact the wood is fitted better than my ruger #1h in 375 h&h. Actually they both cycled better than my pre cross bolt safety 357 before I tuned it up. The 4570 does fit a little better than the 1894 which I have to lift my I cheek a little to see the sights. The Henry rifles I almost have to pick my cheek off the comb to view the sights. Maybe because I'm 6'4" and my head may be a little canted.

Sent from my E6782

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
I feel like 80% of the remlin talk is just people not owning one and spreading opinion they here online. Everyone's a keyboard expert on something now even if they've never owned one.

Sent from my E6782
While there is possibly some truth in that, I can say for a fact that Remington now isn't what it used to be. I've got some older Remingtons, and a couple of newer ones. Google "870 extraction problems" and you'll see something I've had first hand experience with, and looking at a new Remington vs an older one is night and day in the build quality (and the same can be said about ALL US gun makers in my opinion). It is only logical that if Remington's quality control has gone downhill, any subsidiary they have would have similar results.

The FREEDOM GROUP does NOT make good quality guns. In every company that they have purchased one can see a clear decline in the quality of the products being produced.

Winchester's quality control went to crap in the early-mid 60's. Smith and Wesson in the mid-late 70's. Colt in the late 70's. Pick up several examples of firearms made after those manufacturers made after those general times and you'll see lesser products.

That said, the crossbolt safety came about in 1983, which was long before Marlin sold out.

There is a reason older guns demand a premium.

craveman85

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Dolgeville
State
ny
Remington has a bad habit of laying off a lot of people then when they start to fund new jobs they hire a bunch of new people.

Sent from my E6782

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
I can see that causing issues. The craftsmen who used to work for the gun companies have been replaced by machines. Steel and walnut have been replaced by cheaper alternatives. More uniform results, but not the same quality IMO.

Smith and Wesson is supposedly down to one guy who makes the 41. When he goes they'll probably quit making them.

The Marlin division is reportedly opening a custom shop, and while they aren't advertising it, it might be a segway into getting things back on the right track.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604715