wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Got two bikes stolen last night. One wasn't 10 feet away from me. Was watching "The Ice Pirates" with the kids, heard a noise that I assumed was my parents taking out their dog (next door). Few mins later mom knocks on the door, and when I let her in I noticed one bike on the ground (the noise I heard) and the other gone.

Went to look at my bike and the other kid's bike and the kid's bike was gone too. They moved mine but it had a flat so they left it.

Sooo, I have a LOT of stuff around the house, and a lot of if I don't have the means to lock up.

I'm going to put up a couple of motion lights and thinking about putting up cameras. Anyone get a system and have any imput?

I would prefer a bare bonesish setup that won't be too difficult to hook up. Was looking at something like this....

https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-960H...e=UTF8&qid=1468607838&sr=1-4&keywords=amcrest 8 channel&tag=vglnk-c1372-20

cattleman1977

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Delavan
State
KS
I sit on the BOD of our regional technology company and you can get what you are looking for in a bunch of different ways. The setup you are looking at through Amazon might be a good option if you are fairly handy. Just recently I came across this company:
http://www.vivint.com
Some of the options they provide are really cool, they are nationwide, and the quote I saw was surprisingly reasonable.

City
Floyd/Salem
State
VA
Got two bikes stolen last night. One wasn't 10 feet away from me. Was watching "The Ice Pirates" with the kids, heard a noise that I assumed was my parents taking out their dog (next door). Few mins later mom knocks on the door, and when I let her in I noticed one bike on the ground (the noise I heard) and the other gone.

Went to look at my bike and the other kid's bike and the kid's bike was gone too. They moved mine but it had a flat so they left it.

Sooo, I have a LOT of stuff around the house, and a lot of if I don't have the means to lock up.

I'm going to put up a couple of motion lights and thinking about putting up cameras. Anyone get a system and have any imput?

I would prefer a bare bonesish setup that won't be too difficult to hook up. Was looking at something like this....

https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-960H...e=UTF8&qid=1468607838&sr=1-4&keywords=amcrest 8 channel&tag=vglnk-c1372-20
I've done a couple of these for some side clients. The big difference I've noticed between the different systems is the interface in which you access the cameras and footage.... it's what sets the good apart from the very bad. The interfaces can be cumbersome and confusing.

The item you've listed looks pretty good. Decent size hard drive, IP66 rated exterior cameras with IR, and some pretty great reviews. Don't think you'll go wrong.

After you get these installed you might want to check with your home insurance - they may give you a small break for having them in place.

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
I sit on the BOD of our regional technology company and you can get what you are looking for in a bunch of different ways. The setup you are looking at through Amazon might be a good option if you are fairly handy. Just recently I came across this company:
http://www.vivint.com
Some of the options they provide are really cool, they are nationwide, and the quote I saw was surprisingly reasonable.
I saw the Vivint guy on undercover boss. Looks like a good company to deal with and fully clued in. At least on TV. And it's a sole owner business. Or was then.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
We've got a "ring" doorbell that I like. Not a broad view of the entire outside of the house, but look into it, it may be something useful to you.

cdvcj8

It's Not My Scrambler
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Friendship
State
MD
A few of these tend to help with casual thieves as well:

20601.jpg

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Make sure to mount the camera(s) out of reach. A neighbor of mine had a doorbell camera and got a nice video of the guy's hand as he ripped it off the wall...

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Make sure to mount the camera(s) out of reach. A neighbor of mine had a doorbell camera and got a nice video of the guy's hand as he ripped it off the wall...
The "ring" is pretty much useless without the chip connected at the chime inside, not that thieves know or care. Apart from that, the company can read the s/n on any connected unit so they'd likely be able to track it down if someone set it up later. Again, not that it matters to a thief.

mssldn

Legacy Registered User
City
Gooding
State
ID
Make sure that the video can be downloaded to an easily playable format. The video is worthless if it can't be played in court.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
I have a system made by Geovision bought from Palmvid and I'm running 11 cameras. I'm using a 32" TV as a monitor and I can view my cameras from just about any where in the world using any computer or just from my iPhone. I can see everything that goes on in and around my home and shop. Don't get in a hurry, do your homework and buy a good system from someone than can service it. I've had my system for eight years now and its only been updated twice. Cameras are so much better than they were 8 yrs ago that I am looking to upgrade now.
On two occasions I have watched would-be thieves stop in my driveway and get out of their cars and walk towards my home then see the cameras and turn around and leave. You might be surprised at what goes on around your home.

PS.. I've even started installing dash camera's in my cars. My Scrambler already has one.

Last edited:

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
I'm a do it yourself kind of guy. The thing I noticed about the Amazon system I posted was that it seems as easy as running the wires from cameras to the DVR.

I don't view cameras as stopping thieves, but it would be nice if it would help catch them. Two cheap bikes aren't a huge deal, but the idea that someone was up snooping around that close to my house bothers me. Wife suggested I just stick up some game cams around the house.

Dennis, I'm debating getting a dash cam too. As people get more aggressive driving being able to prove exactly what happened if in an accident could be very helpful.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
I never touch my dash camera. I have it wired to come on and off with the ignition and it just automatically rewrites over itself when the memory card is full. Some even come with motion detection so you could use it as another security camera when it's parked at home if you wire it powered all the time. I have enough security cameras around my home that I don't need the dash cam for that use.

I'm using a VicoVision Marcus 4 dash cam. It's very expensive but you know my moto, buy it once and only cry once.

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
I use samsung smart cams around my house. They are cost effective have continues recording and can be viewed on your smart phone the app. They can be set up with trip zones also. Here a pic from my front side cam. I have used them for over 2 years now and love them.