tower210

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Has anyone used one of these salvage sites to source an engine / trans?

It is intriguing.... I found a 1999 Silverado with the 4.8 and Manual Transmission (I think it should be an AX-15) with 129K miles. Looks like $1500 would buy the truck that starts. That would give me motor and harness and trans; I could part out TC & rear axel and any other Silverado stuff. Looking at the 4.8 as a way to keep $$ down but also don't need 350 HP with my AMC 20.

Thoughts?

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

TravelnMan

Legacy Registered User
City
Granby
State
CT
I believe the trans is an NV3500. Similar in rating to the AX-15.

I used an NV3500 behind my Gen III swap and like it. Yes it doesn't have the bullet proof strength of the NV4500 but its a whole lot lighter, shifts nicely, smaller and easier to fit and is just fine for my relatively light duty use. No fancy parts needed either - everything is stock (flywheel, clutch etc...)

Ron84cj

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
99s I would avoid unless you plan on rebuilding it. They usually had iron heads instead of aluminum so that adds weight. And SOME had really really thick cylinder walls. The 4.8L, 5.3L, and the 6.0L all shared the some block on the early castings. So they made them with really thick walls to accommodate the 4" bore on the 6.0L. They were so thick on the smaller bore 4.8/5.3 that it actually caused overheating problems. Then later 99s and up had their own 6.0L block and the 4.8/5.3 block. The 4.8 and 5.3 share the same bore size. The 4.8/5.3 still had really thick walls, but not as much as the early ones. The later ones you can actually bore out to 3.898 to make it a 5.7L. I have done 3 now with 0 issues.

TravelnMan

Legacy Registered User
City
Granby
State
CT
I used a clocking ring/spacer btw the NV3500 and D300. also had to swap D300 input shafts to account for the spline count difference.

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
Thats the same motor Trans I want to stick in my CJ7 in the future feel like it would be a perfect mix of power and modern reliability.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
Not sure I will go this direction if I have to swap the input shaft on the D300.... AX-15's aren't too hard to find.

Ron84cj

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
I got my AX-15 from a 94 Dodge Dakota. They seem to be a lot cheaper around here when it's labeled as a Dakota trans vs a Wrangler trans even though it's the same thing. Just make sure it's a v6 dakota because I am fairly certain the 4 cyl got the AX5 or some other piece of crap. I will be bolting up a chevy 5.3L to my AX15 within the next month and will post it in my build thread "My blue jeep." There are some details I will into to save a ton of money on the swap.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I will be bolting up a chevy 5.3L to my AX15 within the next month and will post it in my build thread "My blue jeep." There are some details I will into to save a ton of money on the swap.
I want to do this with a 4.8 but the damn custom flywheel is very pricey and make the conversion pieces along cost over $700.

Ron84cj

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
You don't need the custom flywheel. Just get an early 2000s truck flywheel. Then get an standard 11 inch bellhousing and an adjustable pivot ball to make up the .400 difference or get an adjustable throw out bearing. You will need the chevy bellhousing to ax15 adapter from novak though. Use a factory clutch master cylinder with a late 70 toyota land cruiser slave. You will need to make a really simple bracket for the slave and have a machine shop drill and tap the flywheel for a gen 1 11" clutch.

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
Take a look at the Lakewood Bell Housings. You do not need the SFI spec one so they are much more reasonable in price.

Carl

Ron84cj

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Bend
State
WI
If you're going to buy a new bellhousing then just get the one from advance adapters. It's a basically just a chevy bellhousing that bolts right up to an ax15. They are very nice, I just ended up getting a stock bellhousing for only $50 so for me that was the cheaper route for me. But the 11 inch truck bellhousings are getting a bit harder to find.