Are all new Jeep salesmen clueless???

jeffs396

mini Scrambler
City
NE
State
OH
Went by the local Jeep dealer yesterday to grab a new JK brochure for good reference pics for an upcoming resin project. Ask the salesman if they have any new JK literature...JK??? What's that, never heard of it he says! Wrangler? Oh, yeah, we have those, never heard them called JK before :rolleyes: Looked at me like I was from mars or something :shrug:

Last edited:

Bugman

The Rubicon, my backyard
City
Pollock Pines
State
CA
I presume it was a young guy? I might presume a couple other things but I might get flamed for presuming them.

JEEPTHRILLS

Legacy Registered User
City
State
In my 20+ years of buying and selling cars, I have always found 98% of the sales people clueless about the product they are selling. I dont think it has to do with generational differences...I have had older and younger idiots trying to sell me something I know alot more about, then they do.

There is a reason most folks call them slimy...to them, its all about the sale.

jeffs396

mini Scrambler
City
NE
State
OH
I presume it was a young guy? I might presume a couple other things but I might get flamed for presuming them.
No, this salesman was in his mid-fifties I'd say (at least he looked it :eek:) His co-workers probably call him Ol' green teeef (looked as though the last time he brushed his teeth was when TJs were discontinued). I gave him a brief history of Jeep letter designations & he said "Oh, I remember the CJs" :shrug:

Funny thing is that 4WD Hardware is about a mile up the road...there are tons of Jeeps, modified & stock in my area, he's probably one of the "hungry" sales people that pounce on customers as soon as they walk thru the door...might sell a few more if he'd educate himself a bit more on their products & brush them teeef! :rotfl:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Short answer- YES. 99% only care about making the sale and getting the month end bonus. I have been at several dealerships- only met 1 salesperson who chose to educate himself. Sad but true- they don't have a passion for cars, they have a passion for sales.

Robert Slone

Legacy Registered User
City
Spring Hope
State
NC
Pull up on a car lot in a Scrambler...."ready to trade that ole thing in?" Followed by something like "Boy, that's a long one ain't it. I ain't seen one like that before". Then they can't uderstand why you don't want to trade it for a new model.

City
Hammonton
State
NJ
I, for one, have never used the letter designation for any Jeep that wasn't a CJ. Since the original Wrangler was released, and people started calling it the "YJ", I've just always felt it smacked of wannabe. Everybody just wants to link their Jeep to the original, but a cute nickname just won't make it so.
As for the salesmen - their job is to sell whatever product is on the lot at that particular point in time. They don't need to know the history of the brand, or all the terminology that only a relative handful of people use. It may come as a shock to people here, but the majority of people buying new Wranglers do not know the kind of things that we know about Jeeps, nor do they care. As long as he isn't a jerk, I don't care if the salesman has ever even ridden in a Jeep before. I just need him to fill out the paperwork, I already know what I want when I walk in the door.

Cincyjeeprs

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cincinnati
State
Oh
We just bought a used '04 GC Overland from a small used car dealership in Columbus owned by a "kid" and run with the help of his grandpa. When I headed under the Jeep with a flashlight, gramps said "I love a guy who knows what he is buying." While we were there, a young woman stopped in all ready to write a check on the spot for a Mercedes 450 SL. When told it was rear wheel drive, she said "but I want that car with front wheel drive". She left unhappy because they "wouldn't" find her a 450 SL with front wheel drive. Works both ways, I guess. Stupid is not defined by occupation or pocketbook.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I, for one, have never used the letter designation for any Jeep that wasn't a CJ. Since the original Wrangler was released, and people started calling it the "YJ", I've just always felt it smacked of wannabe. Everybody just wants to link their Jeep to the original, but a cute nickname just won't make it so.
Aren't the designations part of the VIN tags, not the VIN number, but on the tags? Not just made up nicknames, right?

Jeremy

Scrambler Fanatic
City
Carlisle
State
PA
Honestly, I gave up hope on the Daimler Chrysler after working at Camp Jeep 2005, I am not sure that any of their employees, especially the ones that came from Diamler know anything about Jeeps or Jeep owners after that experience. I did have a good time trying to educate them though.

Last edited:

Bugman

The Rubicon, my backyard
City
Pollock Pines
State
CA
After I sold my business, I sold Jeeps for a friend of mine that owned a few dealerships. Never had any car sales experience before that and what an eye opener that was! It is in a smaller town where we were encouraged to just be ourselves and KNOW THE PRODUCT. Well, it got to be a joke among the managers that "we need to get Steve more Jeeps. We're out again." Man, once I got an interested customer it was pretty much a done deal. The product speaks for itself. Due to demand, I have since gone back to manufacturing my own products again but still have a loyal following from previous customers looking to update their Jeeps or parts and have a close relationship with the dealership. I just can't stay away. Jeeps are in my blood.

ScramFam

City
Nowhere
State
OH
Jeep isn't helping the matter either, Did you know that the new Jeep Grand Cherokee is coded WK? That's two "completely new" generations of Grand Cherokees sharing the same code.

City
Hammonton
State
NJ
Aren't the designations part of the VIN tags, not the VIN number, but on the tags? Not just made up nicknames, right?
The letters are basically in-house build codes that are used when they're developing the product. I still remember a line from a write up on the early Cherokee, it had a comment that read something like "For those that think Jeeps need a two letter name, the code for the new model is XJ". Chrysler never marketed the early Wrangler as a "YJ", or the Cherokee as an "XJ". Of course, Chrysler is smart enough to know an advertising gimmick when they see it, so you did find the "TJ" badge on a couple of special edition Wranglers, such as the hood lettering on the "Willys" Wrangler 5 or 6 years ago.
I can't help it, I was one of those snobs that frowned upon unibody station wagons and Jeeps with plastic dashboards. I've gotten over my dislike of those cars...sort of...but I'm hanging on to my dislike of the letter names.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I am looking for a used(duh!)WJ, have been for a while now. I went into the local dealership and asked a salesman if they had any "wj"s for sale, he said, "yeah when have some wranglers". The other salesman must have seen the "what are you stupid" look on my face and stepped in and helped the other guy out. The stupid guy was some sort of manager(guessing he's related to the owner or he's sleeping with him:shrug:. I have yet to talk to ANY Jeep saleman who knows more about the model I have inquired about than I do, not tooting my own hour, it's just how it is.

jeepers 1940

Legacy Registered User
City
Madison
State
MS
I believe JEEPTHRILLS has it about right; most vehicle salesmen are clueless, and not overly motivated to learn.