• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Are CJ/YJ doors the same fit?

Loyalpoke

Legacy Registered User
Lifetime Member
City
Stillwater
State
ok
I have found two sets of doors on CL. One is hard doors and the other is full soft doors. Both say CJ/YJ. Which hard doors will fit my OE Halftop?

Also, I've kept my eyes open for a set of soft doors, for these days that it is cold in the morning but later in the day they end up in the bed. Hard doors get based around too much doing that. I found a set, again on CL, but nowhere close to me. I don't know the make yet. Will any soft doors fit my hard top?

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
From what I've seen, no soft doors will mate up to your hardtop. The YJ soft uppers are square on the rear corner and the Bestop are round but are bigger than steel doors as they overlay the soft top.

YJ hard doors will fit a CJ perfectly. They are dimensionally exactly the same.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
A YJ soft door bottom with a TJ soft top door top will work with a hard top, but it takes some fabrication.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Don't know of any full soft doors that will work with your hard top. As said above, full hard doors should fit fine

Loyalpoke

Legacy Registered User
Lifetime Member
City
Stillwater
State
ok
Looks like I'll pick up a set of hard doors and pass on the soft doors. Thank you!

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
What about the half hard door hard uppers? Do they mate with a hard top?
I believe they all work with hardtops. They are pricey though. New they cost more than a set of decent full metal doors.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Whatever doors you get, to fit with the hard top, the upper portion has to be made to work with a hard top. Most soft doors are made for the soft top. The upper section will have a different contour right about the latch where the window starts. Like mentioned, if you can get a soft upper for a TJ it will work, but the lower section will need to be the YJ (or later CJ style with the post latch mechanism. I run my full soft (2 piece) doors all summer when I do not have the hard top on. Over the winter months, I have YJ half hard doors with TJ soft uppers. Or I use the full fiberglass doors made for a CJ with the glass slider windows. But I find I like the YJ/TJ half door combo mix better.

I have considered either manipulating the frame of my soft door upper to fit the contour, or finding TJ uppers for the full soft doors, and seeing if they will mate up to my YJ soft lower. But, I have had other things to deal with and have not gotten around to finding the right uppers.

Good luck.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
My driver side door is from a YJ. The main difference is the latch mechanism was redesigned but will works with our strikers and the door mounted mirror. I removed the mirror and welded the holes before painting them. Other than that they are the same.

Cmath

Scrambler Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
City
Woodstock
State
Ga
This has worked out for me. I also have full hard set. I guess the only negative with hard uppers is the slider window opening isn’t that big . No big deal to me though.

Attachments

• DF093106-1F87-4DA6-8FE8-9E7BA3FAE5BF.jpeg
    DF093106-1F87-4DA6-8FE8-9E7BA3FAE5BF.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 1533C494-A3BA-4F4C-A725-3D8B43F3ECFD.jpeg
    1533C494-A3BA-4F4C-A725-3D8B43F3ECFD.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 2E42EE04-A544-40D7-97FD-7AB9E2A1A842.jpeg
    2E42EE04-A544-40D7-97FD-7AB9E2A1A842.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 32

Loyalpoke

Legacy Registered User
Lifetime Member
City
Stillwater
State
ok
I passed on the soft doors but picked up a set of really clean and straight hard doors today. My old ones have the paddle sale latches, this new set is the other latch that sits at the rear of the door and I assume doesn't use the striker that has taken out many belt loops. I like the design better, seems much simpler and less to go wrong, but I will miss my fold out wings. I am assuming it is an older style. Will have to check and see what I need to do in the door frame to latch it.

Cmath, Thanks for the pics, that is a great looking 8!