• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Are the Scramblers getting to valuable to enjoy

Interceptor

My toy of joy
City
Galivants Ferry
State
SC
Saw the post of another very nice Scrambler up for sale, with the price to match.
I realize alot of members are still using theirs, I plan to use mine often too.
But at these prices who can afford to buy and do 4 wheeling in them.

Will they become like early Mustangs and kept in garages? I still see a lot of CJ7's being daily driven that look well used. What percentage of CJ8's do you think are still being parked in the driveway and being driven alot.
They are getting just to expensive to rag out.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
My last one was a daily driver. I sold it to build this one- it was supposed to be a daily driver, but then things got out of hand…now it’s going to be a weekend cruiser- garaged and driven to the brewery or car shows.

Last edited:

Bugman

The Rubicon, my backyard
City
Pollock Pines
State
CA
I'm wheeling mine, carefully, and getting more into overlanding with a destination in mind. I built it not to break and I'm not pushing the limits so much anymore. Kind of a moot point as my sons will be getting this when I'm too old to move around. But until then I will NOT park it in a garage to increase the value.

mwqpd11

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Coopersburg
State
PA
I keep mine in the garage but I do drive it to work when it’s nice out. Not original but it’s the cleanest Jeep I ever owned. So clean I don’t want to off-road it. East coast a lot of mud

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
SOA Member
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
I drive mine rain or shine when I'm home. I have a Silverado duramax as my car to take to work but my Jeep is my 'home car". I drive her just like I would any car, perhaps more because i just love driving her.

I look at it this way: my Silverado was $60,000 and I drive it. My wife's Tahoe was $65,000 and we drive that... hell, we let my kids eat in it and my wife drives by Braille.

I can restore my Jeep again, I'll never restore either my Silverado or the Tahoe.... nor could I with all the electronics and safety rubbish. I'll just drive them until I need a new one.

It does make me sad that I don't see as many CJs on the road as I once did but that's just life: I don't see many Irocs or Fox body Mustangs any more. We're getting older and time passes. My grandfather used to say he missed seeing Model As on the road; I finally truly understand how he felt.

So if I'm happy to let my kids eat in a $65,000 depreciating asset and to let my wife drive it by Braille and I'm happy to park my $60,000 Silverado at the airport day after day after day, why wouldn't i drive my $30,000 Jeep.... which I built.....every day I can?

I love diving it. It makes me happy driving it. It's my driver. I hope I never get too worried about it to drive it.

Last edited:

wjtstudios

1985 CJ 8
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rochester
State
Mi
I probably have close to twice into my JKU compared to what into my scrambler build and I’ve taken the JK thru some of the hardest trails in the country and drive it every day I can before the salt flys onto the road. Jeeps are meant to be driven in my opinion. I intend to do the same with the scrambler when it is done minus the of trails that would be too much for it.

Chamba

Not obsessed: focused.
SOA Member
City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Having said that, I don't live in the north-east. I would never, ever drive a Scrambler (or any car I like) in the winter there. That's just destructive.

OGRES

Ramblin' Wreck
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Suwanee
State
GA
I drive mine as much as I can. I got into jeeps because they were fairly cheap and I could learn about them as I worked on them. I drive my current one as much as I can around town. It has too many problems at the moment to take it too far from the house, but I try to drive it as much as I can. It sits out in my driveway because my wife doesn't want it in the garage. It is too tall to sit in there with the top up anyway.

I have a love-hate relationship with my jeep. It is a tremendous waste of money, but I just can't get rid of it yet. It is just too damn cool.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I’m going to add to this. I probably won’t have an honest answer until I actually drive it. Who knows. I’ve gone back and forth on this- keep it and keep it nice, drive a bit and then see just how much I can get for it, or just drive it and call it good. The thought that keeps pestering me is- if I could sell it for enough to get a real nice stock one to drive daily, and have enough left over to get a decent Jeepster or Wagoneer, wouldn’t that be a better plan? Or would I go and build both of those up until I was uncomfortable driving them…

No matter what I do I will be building something else. I had planned on a Jeepster but size wise a Waggy works so much better for me. Something like Eric’s Mater. And I already have a 68 and a 72 to use for a base.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I have a love-hate relationship with my jeep. It is a tremendous waste of money, but I just can't get rid of it yet. It is just too damn cool.
Remember- the cost of cool ain’t cheap!

brp0830

SOA Member
City
Raleigh
State
NC
I drive and wheel mine. That being said, it is garage kept right now, but when I finish redoing the suspension next winter, it MAY not fit in the garage.... :-/

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
I drive and wheel mine. That being said, it is garage kept right now, but when I finish redoing the suspension next winter, it MAY not fit in the garage.... :-/
You just need a bigger opening, or raise the garage. :shrug:

gr8dain

Hater of Electronics
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I am glad mine is not a pristine restored version. I used to daily drive mine and wheel it. Now it is getting to the point of a wheeling toy. And I plan to continue that path. I am not precious with it. I bought one that was not worth too much 11 years ago. It was a mess. Now it is all mine. I break stuff. I fix it. The only piece still original is the dash. And it is rusty so I have a replacement in the garage ready to go in some day.

Attachments

• 0509D5A0-3A40-4631-9C68-613530D9A33F.jpeg
    0509D5A0-3A40-4631-9C68-613530D9A33F.jpeg
    279.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

MikeV

Always learning
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Monroe
State
NY
As always it's very interesting and enlightening to hear what everyone has to say on this forum. As I'm having my coffee this morning I agree with driving it as much as possible. Last night Renee and I dropped Michael off at the skatepark and went to a brewery for dinner in the scrambler. People came out of the bar to look at it when we pulled up. The stories started and you all know the conversations that begin after that. I needed to excuse myself because she was waiting for me inside! It may be overstated but it's really not about money I just love the heck out of driving this especially when I have Renee or the boys in it with me. We were yelling our heads off to the music with the moon, 3 planets, and a million stars looking down on us on the way home. I never wanted a lot of fancy things but I do want time and moments like these. I smile like the kids on here when I jump out of my DD and into the jeep every day I can until the salt comes. But every spring when we wake up it's like a new present!

GreatCJ8

Charter Member
Gold Member
City
Lynchburg
State
VA
Oh and as for this topic. I don't even have a garage currently 🤣
But I will be daily driving mine most of the time

TXJEEP

Legacy Registered User
SOA Member
City
Copper Canyon
State
TX
I built a 65 Mustang several years ago that got out of control and ended up too nice to drive. I tore down my Scrambler 6 years ago swearing not to do that again. It’s gotten out of control again but hopefully not to the Mustang level. I was talking to my engine guy yesterday who just sold his 5 and was having some serious remorse. His advice was poignant, “if you’re not gonna drive it then get professional photographer to take amazing pictures and blow them up to hang in your office. Then sell the damn thing. You’ll get the same amount of enjoyment and you’ll have the money.”

At the moment I still think I’m building a daily driver. Time will tell.