Are there seats that sit lower?

Loyalpoke

Legacy Registered User
City
Stillwater
State
ok
I've been looking for a new set of seats. I've been using a set from a Ford Contour for a few years just to get by. Years ago I replaced a worn out set of OEMs with BestTop's cheapest seat. They sat too high. They were much thicker than the OEM's. I'm over 6' tall and not skinny. I always have a half cab on. There is not much leg room as it is, or space between the seat and steering wheel.

My plan was to go to the 4Wheel shop and sit in their floor models to buy a set, but I found they don't put out seats anymore when I went by. Short of doing the fab work on the brackets, is there a seat that isn't as thick? I don't want to spend a ton of $ on high end seats.

walkerhoundvm

Typical Know-it-all
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
If the seats you have now are good, you might be ahead by paying someone to do the bracket fab. I've seen a thread on it here somewhere, surely you can find someone nearby who's capable?

Rosco1974

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
West Haven
State
UT
Pontiac Sunfire/Chevy Cavalier seats are short and practically bolt in. Same with S-10 seats, but a bit taller. I have used both and have the S-10s in my 8 now. Plenty of room with a tilt column setting straight.

Sfisher

Basic User
City
El Dorado Hills
State
CA
I know you said you did not want to purchase "high end seats" so this may not apply, however usually any information helps.

I purchased PRP daily driver suspension seats earlier this year with their CJ brackets and they are considerably lower. I estimate I sit at least two inches lower than I did with the stock seat and brackets. I now use the tilt on my steering column every time I get in/out of the Jeep.

Kane

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
The factory brackets are very simple to lower including the tilt forward passenger bracket. I lowered mine on my CJ5 an inch due to thick aftermarket seats and it only took a couple hours to do so. The tilt forward bracket can be done with no welding at all and you could cut and bolt the driver brackets without welding if you didn't have the means.

Loyalpoke

Legacy Registered User
City
Stillwater
State
ok
Sfisher, I have to say, the custom designed PRP's look awesome and are very tempting! With their mounts, it pushes you to almost 4 digits. It's still tempting to consider at some point, but not for now until I am done with restoration.
I probably need to go with simple aftermarkets and lower my brackets.
Thanks for the feedback.

Anyone have a good set of seat brackets for sale?