Are these seats original?

jc_chandler

CJ-8.com Member
City
Denver
State
CO
I ask because they don't have the narrow horizontal ribbing I would expect on an original seat. They also have a lever on one side that allows the back to fully tilt forward. I don't want to spend time and money trying to restore them if they aren't original.

00n0n_6SjPPAgokPS_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

jc_chandler

CJ-8.com Member
City
Denver
State
CO
It seems sourcing and reupholstering a set of original seats is going to be difficult and expensive. I'm going to try, but anyone have opinions on aftermarket options?

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Opinions ? Plenty. Also seems like there is a thread somewhere on what used seats fit directly from certain vehicles to CJs and some with a little modification.

jc_chandler

CJ-8.com Member
City
Denver
State
CO
I found a couple of threads on here and elsewhere that provided some good insight. I'd prefer OEM but minus that at least aftermarket that look close to original, so I'll probably take a closer look at the usual suspects (Bestop, Smittybilt, Rugged Ridge).

Scramblin Man

Beyond help
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Woodway
State
Tx
You can find some OEM seats with good frame and foam if you search a little. Then purchase some A/M covers for OEM seats. Probably the easiest method than finding originals with good covers. There are some decent replacement covers on Ebay - not exact OEM copies but 99% of the people would never know the difference.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Not positive, but those are probably YJ seats. If so, get YJ upholstery kit, fix the foam, and they will be a respectable replacement with adjustable back rests.