wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Just ALMOST ordered an Auburn Gear Ected....it was for a 2.73 AMC20 so the price was right, and I like the idea of having an all time LSD with selectable locker out back.

Anyhow, who's running one, and anything I should know before I buy it?

Last edited:

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Specifically, I understand that the clutches will wear out over time, but will the electric locking feature still work after the clutches on the LSD wear out?

I have a Truetrac as well, just figured that a full selectable locker would be preferable. I like that the Truetrac doesn't have clutches to wear out.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Well I did some more reading on these. Looks like I'm going to stick to my truetrac.

The Ecteds are on Amazon CHEAP for 2.73 AMC20's.....like $130 cheap.....but it looks like the "lock" feature just compresses the clutch friction discs so once the clutches wear out you gotta rebuild the unit. Looks like they are hit or miss on the reliability side too. Lot of reports of people having them that won't disengage.

If I didn't already have the truetrac I might still spring for one as cheap as they are, but since it requires setting up gears to install one I think I'll stick with the truetrac. Can put it in there and forget about it/ not ever have to worry about rebuilding it.

Craner8

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Orlando
State
FL
I just bought a 1993 full size blazer with an Auburn in the rear. It clunks a lot. Mechanic advised it needs to come out. He advised they are not really well liked. For what it's worth...

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I'm running Ecteds- No problems yet other than I twist too many axle splines. Not the diff's fault, though.

The Limited Slip works surprisingly well, and the locker locks and unlocks transparently. I'm really pleased...

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
I'm running Ecteds- No problems yet other than I twist too many axle splines. Not the diff's fault, though.

The Limited Slip works surprisingly well, and the locker locks and unlocks transparently. I'm really pleased...
I saw one for sale locally ($500-600ish) and looked up the part number to see what it fit. It was a 2.73 AMC20, but when I looked up the part number they popped on on Amazon for $130. Probably made a bunch and have pretty much zero demand for 2.73 selectable lockers.

I have a 2.73 Truetrac to go in my green Jeep, will stick with that. It doesn't go offroad much and I won't have to worry about clutches wearing out.