gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
So here we go, I couldn't hold off any longer. I've been without a full sized Jeep for a decade now and enough is enough. I've pulled trigger and picked up an 84 Wagoneer Limited.

They were called Cherokees over here but that name, whilst fitting 30 years ago, has been diluted over the last 20 of those by vehicles which bear little or no resemblance to the original monster. Kind of how the new Renegade has, in my opinion and through my eyes, taken some of the shine off the original Renegade package.

I've always liked the Wagoneer name, Grand Wagoneer, Super Wagoneer and so on so I'm going to be referring to this NTM Jeep as my Wagoneer. I look forward to one day seeing a new WK Grand Wagoneer from the current owners of the brand.

My first big Jeep was a 79 wagon. I bought that in '99 with the intention of taking the 360 and transplanting into my 84 CJ7 Renegade. That in itself is an interesting story which I'll write about later in this thread. Unfortunately I have no photos of that one but it was a beast. Quadratrac, doors which flung open around corners and 35s on original wagon wheels.

Next was this gem with 258/T5 Cherokee Sportsman package. No rust, excellent paint and extremely good condition from stem to stern ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442146366.952922.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442146546.735065.jpg
Unfortunately the AC was unusable and that along with the stick made it not ideal for wifey as her baby hauler/shopping car. It left. Regretted that sale forever right up to today.

Parts rig showed up next. Unlicensed and rusty around the roof which to me at this point makes it too hard to restore. The axles with their 3:31 gears happily went under the CJ10. They'll do real nice there with the 360/176

This guy also joined the club briefly to donate some chassis sections, brand new tyres, wagon wheels and a few other small bits. Of course I didn't keep the woody mouldings did I. Now THAT is a premium facepalm moment right there. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442147126.002966.jpg

So here is the NTM Waggie in question. These are the only images I have right now. More tomorrow when I see this thing in the flesh for the first time. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442147281.119001.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442147298.702763.jpg

That front bar work worries me a bit, it looks like it's taken a hit and may have been layed back into the pig face grill which will really annoy me as that is my favourite FSJ grill. Either way it will be the first thing removed after I cross the Nullabor.

Anyways that's it for now. Next post will be whilst I'm standing next to this thing on the other side of the country.

Thanks for dropping by.

G

Last edited:

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Awesome!! That Cherokee Sportsman is the best!
I was thinking the same thing. Sweet. Congrats!!!!

And my wife was looking on fleabay for waggys. Later she mentioned that when the boy heads off to college and takes the JKU, we should get one. I will try to be patient.

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
Trip starts today. Lunchtime flight then an hour and a half train ride. This oughta do for the first leg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442194308.356532.jpg
Found out over the phone to the vendor this morning that not only do they have to supply a roadworthy certificate when ever a car is sold but since this has dual fuel it needs an LPG gas certificate as well. Hopefully he is able to get those both at the same place this arvo and I can hit the road first thing tomorrow.
He says the vehicle should have no problems at inspection, says the engine bay is clean, no leaks (yeah right it's a jeep, mate) and no rust. If there are any dramas with that though it's on to Plan B which is throw it on a truck and fly home which would be a bit sad.
Looking at the photos above I'm thinking it's got some decent rubber on the stock alloy rims. They've a fair belly protruding past the rim which to me looks to be at least 10.5". This would more than likely mean 31/10.5/15 which is the size I'd want in there anyway. The Bridgestones on the Sportsman were that size and I always liked the way that looked and drove when the airs shocks in back had a few pounds in them

Last edited:

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Good luck! I hope it passes and you get to drive it and arrive home safely.

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
Day 2
Well a GPS would find me in bed at 5:45am. Got into this "2 bit" motel at around 10 last night local time. For me right now it's 4am.
Late yesterday the guy told me they found a leak in the steering pump and he wouldn't be able to get it over the pits. I told him not to stress, we can work that out.
So I guess I gotta stand by for an hour or so until folks stir. Might go find a coffee and bacon and eggs and toast and coffee
At least they gave me the poolside room. This may be where the Vegas part of Brisvegas comes from. Pffft I doubt it. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442261293.540808.jpg

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
Day 2 Part 2
Covered a big chunk of New South after leaving Queensland after lunch yesterday.

Floating down the highway in a cloud of Americana, nice way to travel. This thing has LPG as well as petrol and I would have thought it would use more gas than petrol but interestingly enough they both gave, wait for it, 28 litres per 100ks! Less than 8mpg. Gotta do better than that.
Gotta hit the road.

Last edited:

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
Today's mission ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442354669.508547.jpg

Got a bit of clear coat to do ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442354774.491281.jpg

Last edited:

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Fixed the picture for you ;)

mirrorflip.jpg

j/k... looks like an awesome trip, drive safe!

I too went on a small excursion, more on that later.

cb

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Garden Hill, Ontario, Cana
State
da
Kick ***!! Need to convince my wife to do that... She realy wants to go to Australia (so do I)

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
Thanks CB. Man your picture is making me seasick or was it the way this thing pours down the highway.
This Jeep is like a bad uncle:
It's noisy, it's fat, it's rude and vulgar, has a mind of its own and doesn't take kindly to being told what to do, it farts, it's stinks, rough and untidy, sunburnt and peeling and DRINKS EVERYTHING!!! but you know what, it makes you smile and you just want to hang out with it some more.
I've got some reasonable Jeeps but boy does this thing draw attention! Half of these outback folks have never even seen one, asking "what sort of car is that?" Pffft, car! That my friend is an 84 Wagoneer or Uncle Archie to his friends. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442408082.373244.jpg (Archie is the gentleman I bought it from. Used to drag his racehorses around with it.) Far out, this thing uses ALL the fuel by itself, I'd hate to tow anything with it.
Yesterday I got through to the centre of New South Wales and last night I got a bit excited at the prospect of going to this place ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442408355.204965.jpg
Drove through the sunset before that though ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442408399.488124.jpg
Rolled out the swag and got maybe an hours sleep then got up, packed up and punched out another 3 hours at the helm. I say helm because between the disgusting highways we have out here and the Hollywood shockies on this thing it's like skippering the SS Minnow out into the Bermuda Triangle, I never know where I'm gunna end up regardless of where I point it. :) :) :)
Eventually pulled over and coiled into the fetal position on the back seat at 2am and grabbed a couple more hours.

Last edited: