• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Auto Transmission Identification

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I got these 2 transmissions last night in a large parts haul.
I will admit, I know nothing about automatic transmissions.

I assume it is a TF904 / TF909, but I guess it could be a 727.

I haven't put the cover back on the manual one, but I assume it is a T5 from the looks, but could be a T4 I suppose.

Thanks,
Craig

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
993909dd5086484573045736e234b7d4-1.jpg

cb
Sent from the garage

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
There is a tell tale bulge for the 5th gear on the t5. You will now notice and not notice it for the rest of your life. [emoji6]

As far as the auto the 999 904/909 look very similar. Given so many more 999s out there that's probably what it is.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
There is a tell tale bulge for the 5th gear on the t5..

Cool, I will have to compare the two types... however, if it is just the top cover, could a T5 one be used on a T4 one... like so many other cost cutting measures?

cb

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Cool, I will have to compare the two types... however, if it is just the top cover, could a T5 one be used on a T4 one... like so many other cost cutting measures?

cb

Shifter handle Itself and that ball and socket thingy that unbolts with the 5 bolts is the same. But this bulge is in the "adapter" that is between the main case and the Dana 300. It's in the side and about the size of a golf ball , shot glass, etc and 1.5 the length of those.