Automatic brake pedal for manual conversion

RMNP CJ-8

CJ-8.com Member
City
Loveland
State
CO
I am preparing to start my conversion from manual to automatic and have a question about the larger automatic pedal.

Does anyone know if the smaller pedal from the clutch assembly can be replaced with the larger pedal without having to change the whole assembly bracket? I will of course also remove the clutch pedal. I have seen people just keep the smaller brake, but I would like to use the larger pedal.

Thanks

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Interesting question. I have the automatic assembly ready to swap in when I take the whole manual assembly out. Do you have the automatic assembly? If not, where are you getting the larger pedal? Is it not easy to swap full assemblies? I have not looked yet.

RMNP CJ-8

CJ-8.com Member
City
Loveland
State
CO
Interesting question. I have the automatic assembly ready to swap in when I take the whole manual assembly out. Do you have the automatic assembly? If not, where are you getting the larger pedal? Is it not easy to swap full assemblies? I have not looked yet.
I have a automatic pedal assembly and the pedal that is attached by a pin through a brass bushing. If the manual clutch assembly pedal is attached with same width and size pin, it would save time and effort to use the current assembly and just swap out the pedals. My current automatic assembly frame has some rust and will need to be blasted and painted.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I have seen the clutch and brake pedals welded together with a piece of plate steel. Not original looking but functional. Not sure if the Jeep had a hydraulic or mechanical clutch but some mods to the clutch pedal I would think would have to happen. A case backhoe I use at work has 2 brake pedals, 1 for each size(cutting brakes). I usually slide the pin to connect both like a normal car/truck. Kinda they same idea.:shrug:

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
OKC
State
OK
My 81 had a hydro clutch originally, I don’t know if the manual clutch is the same. I switched my smaller manual pedal out for the larger automatic without changing out the whole assembly. I bought an entire assembly and had the intention to change it. However, that would have been much more work.

It’s been a year, but I think all I did is pulled the pin, dropped the two pedals out and put the single auto pedal in with the shorter pin from the auto assembly. The only difference I could see in the bracket was the return spring arm for the clutch.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
On Copper I replaced the manual pedal with an automatic pedal. It was a direct swap. The upper pivot point is the same width and diameter as the manual pedal.

On Red I'm keeping the smaller manual pedal for my Auto swap. Why? I am 6'2" with size 14 shoes. There were times when the larger auto pedal wanted to occupy the same real estate as my left foot. Looking at how I pace my foot on the pedal, I only use the right edge- so I really don't see the necessity of a larger pedal.

RMNP CJ-8

CJ-8.com Member
City
Loveland
State
CO
My 81 had a hydro clutch originally, I don’t know if the manual clutch is the same. I switched my smaller manual pedal out for the larger automatic without changing out the whole assembly. I bought an entire assembly and had the intention to change it. However, that would have been much more work.

It’s been a year, but I think all I did is pulled the pin, dropped the two pedals out and put the single auto pedal in with the shorter pin from the auto assembly. The only difference I could see in the bracket was the return spring arm for the clutch.
Thanks, that's what I was hoping. I believe I have the parts I need and it should make things easier.

RMNP CJ-8

CJ-8.com Member
City
Loveland
State
CO
On Copper I replaced the manual pedal with an automatic pedal. It was a direct swap. The upper pivot point is the same width and diameter as the manual pedal.

On Red I'm keeping the smaller manual pedal for my Auto swap. Why? I am 6'2" with size 14 shoes. There were times when the larger auto pedal wanted to occupy the same real estate as my left foot. Looking at how I pace my foot on the pedal, I only use the right edge- so I really don't see the necessity of a larger pedal.
Thanks for the confirmation. It's good to hear someone else has done this and the parts are the same size. I'm going to go this route, it will save me from having to rework the other assembly.

ag4ever

Average Nut
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
There are some slight differences between a hydraulic clutch and the linkage clutch pedal assembly. Mostly regarding the firewall bracing the hydraulic setup uses.

Swapping the whole assembly is not much harder than just changing the one pedal, mostly due to the confined space to work in an the fact you still need to remove all linkages just to change the one pedal.

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
There are some slight differences between a hydraulic clutch and the linkage clutch pedal assembly. Mostly regarding the firewall bracing the hydraulic setup uses.

Swapping the whole assembly is not much harder than just changing the one pedal, mostly due to the confined space to work in an the fact you still need to remove all linkages just to change the one pedal.
i was just about to ask this. Thanks. I would not look forward to laying upside down and trying to work on the pedal assembly under the dash.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Gonzales
State
La

I did the same thing Randy did. I remove the clutch pedal and used the smaller brake pedal so I would have more room for my feet. I find it works great