• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

AW4 transmission mount - source for other mount options w/ flat belly skid

JeepScrambler

CJ-oholic
Lifetime Member
City
Claflin
State
KS
I am needing to know if any of you who have installed a 4.0/AW4 drivetrain have come across an alternate transmission mount that will have the correct 6.25" bolt hole spacing (I believe this is correct, will double check) on the transmission side but then use removable bolts/studs to attach the mount to the skid plate/cross member. My current AW4 is from a '94 XJ and installed in one of my '84 Alaskan Postal Scramblers behind a 4.0 with a dana 300 clocked to approx. 9 degrees from flat. I'm installing a new skid plate/crossmember and would like to get ride of the stock AW4 mount that has the four fixed studs that mount through the crossmember. With the studs sticking through and the nuts that attach to them I'm worried I may get hung up on them or damage them to the point I can't unbolt the mount so I'm seeking other options.

The plan with the different mount that uses the removable studs on the bottom side is this would allow me to use allen head bolts that run from beneath the crossmember up into the mount. The allen head bolts would be tapered so I could countersink them into the crossmember so the belly of the skid plate would be perfectly smooth. Here is an example of the type of mount I would like to find; unfortunately this one does not have the correct spacing for the bolt holes on the transmission side. Anyone know of a mount that will work with the AW4 that will allow the bolts to attach from the bottom of the crossmember?
my2a5u2u-1.jpg

Sent via signal flare

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
If you can spare 1/4" couldn't you make an adapter plate from some flat stock and recessed Allen's or welded studs?

JeepScrambler

CJ-oholic
Lifetime Member
City
Claflin
State
KS
Randy, a custom made adapter isn't out of the question. I was just ideally hoping to find an off the shelf transmission mount from another vehicle that would work. This way if I ever needed to replace the mount I could run to any parts store and pick one up. A guy on Jeepforum.com posted this mount: http://autofab.com/i-12006723-jeep-cherokee-transmission-mount.html

which would work. I don't think breaking it would ever be an issue and i could possibly have them weld nuts to the mount instead of the bolts. I'm just worried about the amount of vibration that would transfer through it and the price tag!