Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rock Hill
State
SC
Hey guys, when you bought some axles off someone else, did you do a full rebuild of the axle? Such as new ball joints and bearings and all that? I've got some new wide-track axles and I bought all the stuff to rebuild them but am now wondering if I'm not over doing it.

I can see repacking / replacing bearings and making sure the rotors and calipers are good, but am I nuts to think that I should just wait until a ball joint breaks to replace it?
I'd love to hear some opinions, Jeff

rubclt

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Charlotte
State
NC
Check ball joints for sloppy play or stuck in place. If the need to be changed then you have to pull axles, usually Axle U Joints need repair and at that point new axles seals... for rear, axle seals and maybe one piece conversion

hefavitzen

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Rock Hill
State
SC
Thank you guys for the feedback. I guess I'll break out the elbow grease and get started.

Question: What type of ball joint removal kits have worked for you? Did you need something specific or did a rental kit from the auto parts store work OK?

Growing up I used a C-clamp and an old socket to get them out, but it seems there are kits now days. I'm just not sure if I need any sort of specific kit. If anything, I'll try them all to see what works.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I used a "rental" kit from autozone when I did ball joints on my old '03 Ram 1500. Worked great. Picked one up from Advanced Auto but it was not big enough for 1/2 ton ball joints, not sure about CJ sized stuff.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Presses that work well for a CJ axle are few and expensive. Universal/rental tools I've tried, have not worked well for me (I'd go so far as to say "hazardous"). Last time I replaced ball-joints, I purchased a cheap press from Harbor freight... with some modification, it worked fairly well.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I too bought the cheapo Harbor Freight press and it has served me well. 2 D44’s and a D30 CJ and XJ. Keep the screw well lubed. And make sure everything is set securely.