SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Board Member
City
Thayer
State
KS
Well this happened to my 2004 LJ yesterday.

Had it loaned out to my mom as she ordered a new KIA Telluride to replace her Dodge Journey.
Sold her Journey outright locally with in a couple days of sitting it out along highway, her Telluride is still a couple months out.

Mom was heading to a dentist appointment about 25 miles from home. She does not recall what happened but she shot across 3 traffic lanes (45 mph zone) and hit a car that was stopped at stop sign. A witness said the front driver tire/wheel appeared to be flopping around. So don't really if tire blew out (tires were still in good shape) or tire/wheel were damaged upon impact of other vehicle.

Mom and the lady in the other car are both physically okay.

1570640282690.png
1570640314371.png

1570640341234.png

CHIEFWAHO

SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Board Member
City
Thayer
State
KS
LJ isn't too bad, is it? Looks like a front bumper, fender, hood, wheel, tire, tie rod end?? Frame and front axle OK?
I'm pretty sure front axle and t-case are toast. Not sure on the frame, nothing obvious stuck out to me. Does look like the spring tower/shock mount is tweaked. And as far as I can tell not tub/cowl damage. The insurance is already talking about totaling it out (even with the low 40k miles on it) due to age and damage they are seeing in the pictures a sent in. The insurance is to have someone out to look within a couple days.

If frame is good it should be a fairly reasonable fix for us, but will have to see what kinda $ they offer.

bigwalton

Picture cravin' AK Postal nut
Staff member
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I'm pretty sure front axle and t-case are toast. Not sure on the frame, nothing obvious stuck out to me. Does look like the spring tower/shock mount is tweaked. And as far as I can tell not tub/cowl damage. The insurance is already talking about totaling it out (even with the low 40k miles on it) due to age and damage they are seeing in the pictures a sent in. The insurance is to have someone out to look within a couple days.

If frame is good it should be a fairly reasonable fix for us, but will have to see what kinda $ they offer.
Ugh, here goes the insurance garbage. So sorry for all of this. I despise insurance companies...

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
It doesn't take much to total a vehicle anymore unless it is a high dollar value, then they will move mountains before a total out. Glad your mom is ok.

designerRob

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
Allen Park
State
MI

Not surprising. I could see them totalling it. Hopefully you can buy it back cheap and fix it up. Sorry you have to go through all of that. But I'm glad your mom is ok.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Glad everybody is OK. As far as the LJ, I think it will buff right out.:cry:. Crazy low miles for an LJ.

CHIEFWAHO

SOA VP
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Board Member
City
Thayer
State
KS
Insurance did total it, adjuster came out Friday. I was not even finished talking with the adjuster and my claims agent was calling.
He left a message and said he'd sure like to get this wrapped up today. I text him back as I was on the road and might get back to him next week. Can't believe they actually think I'd make a decision that quick.