• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Bad Karma Scrambler Build Up

twmattox

Legacy Registered User
City
Arcadia
State
IN
Just curious how to deal with some of the harder to reach areas (like inside the channels, etc). I plan on using mine as a daily driver (in salty areas) and am concerned because it went from nearly perfect to rusted out in about 3-4 years. I want to make certain I don't have to go through this again for a long time...

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
get a spray can of galvanizing paint, stick it in a hole and empty the can... might get most might not... get it undercoated with Krown rust control every year... or get the whole tub galvanized... or buy a beater for the winter!! mine wont ever see salt, she gets parked in the winter.

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
got a bit more done... rear wheel wells are pretty much done... have to trim off about 3" to match the factory width. made them a bit bigger than stock to clear 42" tires... they are going to be 3" taller and 8" longer than the stock wheel wells once they are installed.

heres my drawing board... cleared for 42" tire... (yes its says 44" on the tire... its a blemish tire :D and the rim is out of balance)

DSC01475-1.jpg

top and side cut with beads rolled into them

DSC01497-1.jpg

tacked together (still need excess trimmed off)

DSC01499-1.jpg

placed in tub to see difference, little bit bigger than stock... ;) i still have to drop down 3/4". and it has to be trimmed to match factory width... doesnt look as huge in person as it does in the picture...

DSC01503-1.jpg

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
got one wheel well completed now... cut away what was left of the stock wheel well on the Passenger side. have to do a bit more roughing in before i throw some tacks on her... where the well is clamped in, it still have to go down 3/4" since it is sitting on sheet metal that hasnt been cut away yet.
sorry for teh crappy pics... cant find my camera so i had to use my phone... :mad:

SSPX1476-1.jpg

SSPX1477-1.jpg

SSPX1478-1.jpg

DougCJ8

Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe
City
Arundel
State
ME
Question regarding your axles. You said your running a HP Dana 60 in the rear.

Is it a front axle with the outers cut off? I was looking into this for my project but have been talked out of it. I was told oiling becomes an issue as well as the strength of the reverse rotation R&P running backwards.

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
its basically a front Dana 60 center with rear axle outers.

DougCJ8

Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe
City
Arundel
State
ME
Bad Karma said:
its basically a front Dana 60 center with rear axle outers.

That's what I thought. How long was it under your 7? Have you had any trouble with the oiling?
I was going to run a HP 60 in the rear of my 8, but was talked out of it...some say running it in the rear the oil will not hit the bearings correctly. And that the ring gear becomes a weak link where the pinion now rides on the back side of it.

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
its been in for over 3 years.. i think... never had any oiling issues. the fill plug is high up and its very over filled. probably 1-2 quarts more than stock... its a driver not a trailer queen. drove it a few years ago to Rausch in PA which took about took about 10 hours straight driving at 110kph.
as for the ring gear.... its a 1 ton axle in a Jeep. unless youre running huge tires you'll be fine. you'll have other weak links to fix before you break that. my weak link is my Dana 300... :(

DougCJ8

Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe
City
Arundel
State
ME
Bad Karma said:
its been in for over 3 years.. i think... never had any oiling issues. the fill plug is high up and its very over filled. probably 1-2 quarts more than stock... its a driver not a trailer queen. drove it a few years ago to Rausch in PA which took about took about 10 hours straight driving at 110kph.
as for the ring gear.... its a 1 ton axle in a Jeep. unless youre running huge tires you'll be fine. you'll have other weak links to fix before you break that. my weak link is my Dana 300... :(

I may have to rethink using my HP60 in the rear, based on your experience.

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
4BTCJ8 said:
I may have to rethink using my HP60 in the rear, based on your experience.

i love it. driveshaft angle in my CJ7 is almost the same angle as a Jeep with no lift. I'm running a driveshaft (sorta) out of the front of a Cherokee. (CV at t-case) i've probably going about 8,000km on it since i put the whole set up in.

Jan-Erik

Basic User
City
Oslo
State
AH
One question, how are you going to fit the rollbar with the new wheel wells welded in place?

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
not going to be using the factory roll bar. i will be building a full custom roll cage. :D

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
holy crap... its been over a year since i updated this thread....
well heres the update.

moved to a new house last may.
had to redo the whole garage.
while i was redoing the garage, the engine blew up in my CJ-7.
rebuilt the engine.
then renos on the ensuite bathroom (i know not Jeep related, well it sorta is, cuz i read Jeep mags when i take a crap)
now i'm working 14 hour night shifts.
work thats happened on Scrambler??
none.. :(

probably not for a while either. gotta extend full cage on the 7 for a back seat for my little guy.

Apostle

Born a Scramblin' Man
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Sorry to hear about the project stall, but life happens. The good news is that your 8 will be waiting for you when you get the time to devote to her. Until then, don't let it get you down.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Keep the faith, Brother. Good things come to those who wait!

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Moved thread to the buildup forum since it was around before we made the forum.

Sorry to hear about the delay, keep on plugging and it will get there and be totally worth it. :thumbsup: