• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Bad Tachometer?

Craner8

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Orlando
State
FL
Tach went out. Checked hot wire and re-grounded the ground wire. Have electricity to it. Connection under hood is fine. It's an aftermarket, possible Crown. About two years old. Do they just go bad? Any ideas? BTW, pain to access. Had to drop the AC to reach up behind. Not looking forward to installing a new one.:shrug:

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Are they ever good? Don't know from personal experience, but I have read of Crown/Omix/Rugged Ridge gauges just going bad, or being junk on install.

JEEPTHRILLS

Legacy Registered User
City
State
X2

I had a new crown replacment speedo drop the temp guage in about a week...and the face is kinda loose making the lighting worthless.

I pulled it an swapped in my old CJ7 unit.

Craner8

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Orlando
State
FL
I agree with both responses. I'm getting a new one.

hefavitzen

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rock Hill
State
SC
I agree with both responses. I'm getting a new one.

Curious, are you getting the CJ tach that goes in the dash or one that hangs off the steering column? I like the Jeep CJ tach and 4 wheel parts has one in the Charlotte store for $40 I was eyeballing.

I currently have a Mallory unit hanging off the steering column that works fine, but was thinking of the cleaner in dash unit.

Just wondering, Jeff

Craner8

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Orlando
State
FL
It's an in dash unit. Pain to reinstall and I want one that lasts this time as I don't want to do it again. However, I don't know which tachs are quality and which aren't, so I'm looking. Any thoughts?

JEEPTHRILLS

Legacy Registered User
City
State
find a used functioning OE...probably costs a bit more...but made better. I have one from my 7 Laredo which was parted out last year....when my 8 goes for paint the dash is getting a Laredo overhaul.