Bad wiper motor?

City
Allentown
State
Nj
While driving today in the rain, noticed the wipers were struggling going from left to right. But on the return, they worked smoothly. Noticed a drop in voltage when it would swing to the right, but returning the voltage shot up. After a while, they struggled to sweep to the right to the point that with a little nudge of the hand, they’d work only to be nudged again and again. So we pulled over, rigged his phone charging cord to the blade and I’d pull it to get it to sweep to the right. Noticed an electrical burn smell also when we drove for about 20 minutes like this. Finally had to tow it cuz the blade got twisted from me pulling it. And was too far to make it home safely.
When we got home I tried the wipers. I could hear the motor trying to move the wipers, but they didn’t budge. Any advice before I tear it apart?

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Might be the motor is bad or it could also be the linkage is bent/binding (will have to take stuff apart to check either one).

Do you get any lateral movement if you wiggle the wiper pivot point? Sometimes the windshield frame gets metal fatigue where the pivot mounts are, and it causes erratic wiper motion/binding.

Might also run a dedicated ground wire to the motor mounting bracket and see if it makes any difference.

City
Allentown
State
Nj
They were working fine at the beginning of our trip. No wiggle at the pivot point. I’ll wait for it to clear up before breaking it down. Thinking maybe that burn smell was the motor taking a crap. I’m sure it’s the original one. But I’ll post an update when I figure out the culprit