tower210

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
I have plans to upgrade my battery terminals sometime this spring. I upgraded the alternator to a Powermaster 140 amp (to help keep up with my electric cooling fan). The current negative terminal bolt is stripped and seems to corrode very quickly (not sure why. I can completely clean both terminals, put everything back together and tighten and a month later the negative terminal has heavy powdery corrosion covering it's surface). I am getting closer to installing my Birthday present (Warn XD9000i). I figured it was probably a good time to "right size" my battery cables (at least check them to the correct size cables for the amperage flow) and put on new battery terminals to allow convenient, neat, high quality connections for both the main electrical system and winch. Doing research online on the subject most people recommend either marine or military terminals for a high performance, rugged application with more than one connection.

I have looked at both choices and have some questions. Both appear to trade a terminal that is directly connected to the cable for a stud where a lug slips over and is compressed by a nut or wing nut.

If I have more than one connection on each stud (main & winch), what do I use for spacers between the connections to keep them parallel, symmetrical & orderly (the lugs usually have a flat connector with a large round crimp). Are they spaced with std washers or nuts?

Anyone have pictures of their HD terminal setup?

I appreciate the help!

opelgtboy

Legacy Registered User
City
Glassboro
State
NJ
If you apply a light coat of grease to the post and on the terminals, they wont corrode.

Karl

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
I have plans to upgrade my battery terminals sometime this spring. I upgraded the alternator to a Powermaster 140 amp (to help keep up with my electric cooling fan). The current negative terminal bolt is stripped and seems to corrode very quickly (not sure why. I can completely clean both terminals, put everything back together and tighten and a month later the negative terminal has heavy powdery corrosion covering it's surface). I am getting closer to installing my Birthday present (Warn XD9000i). I figured it was probably a good time to "right size" my battery cables (at least check them to the correct size cables for the amperage flow) and put on new battery terminals to allow convenient, neat, high quality connections for both the main electrical system and winch. Doing research online on the subject most people recommend either marine or military terminals for a high performance, rugged application with more than one connection.

I have looked at both choices and have some questions. Both appear to trade a terminal that is directly connected to the cable for a stud where a lug slips over and is compressed by a nut or wing nut.

If I have more than one connection on each stud (main & winch), what do I use for spacers between the connections to keep them parallel, symmetrical & orderly (the lugs usually have a flat connector with a large round crimp). Are they spaced with std washers or nuts?

I appreciate the help!

Like Karl, stated a light coating of grease...
As far as the terminals go; typically you can install the lugs back to back so they are inline, no spacers necessary.
Not sure what options you have found online, but I have had really good luck with the products and service from here:

http://shop.genuinedealz.com/

They offer free shipping, it's also fast (at least to FL, as they are in GA).
They will also install the lugs for you if you don't have the necessary tools.
Anyway, you should check there site for options as well as calculators to help determine the size cables needed for your application.

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
How do you guys get the light-coating of grease applied in the bottom area -the area under the cable, bolt head, nut, and essentually all around that bottom crease? I always end up with a mess trying to get that grease applied cleanly. Also, will it be a poorer contact if some grease gets onto a cleaned post, as in applying grease to the bottom side of cable clamp before installing it onto a clean battery post?

opelgtboy

Legacy Registered User
City
Glassboro
State
NJ
I put a very light coat of grease on the post. Then put the cable end on and put a light coat on the cable end. This will not affect the connection. I have been told to used the same grease as people use on the spark plug wires, but I have used all kinds of grease.

Karl

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
Thanks. I thought grease might cause a poor current, so I've never greased the posts. I usually just use lube grease that designated for the front end lube during oil changes.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Hard to see in this picture, but I used marine terminals with the studs sticking straight up. Had to "fan" the terminal positions. I'd rather go with the military terminal and a longer bolt so they'd mount inline, but the battery box I have has metal plates over the top of the battery and I'm afraid they'd short out if they moved. I still might try them and see if i can find a position where they clear.

I use sealed batteries like the Optima. Never had a problem with terminal corrosion. Only get that with "wet" batteries, in my experience.

Military terminal:

Multiple cables:

Last edited:

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
I had considered replacing the battery with the largest deep cycle AGM I could fit in the tray with marine terminals, but that is the high $$$ solution.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I had considered replacing the battery with the largest deep cycle AGM I could fit in the tray with marine terminals, but that is the high $$$ solution.

Yeah, I know what you mean. But- every vehicle I've ever purchased with a wet battery has had a rusty tray or worse. Especially on a Jeep that is bouncy to begin with- just so much more potential to slosh the acid out. The sealed batteries keep the surrounding sheet metal pristine...

jeepers 1940

Legacy Registered User
City
Madison
State
MS
In place of grease on my battery posts/clamps, I use Vaseline. A thin layer of it keeps the oxygen in the atmosphere from the metal surfaces and at least slows down corrosion. Works fine for me and is a little less messy than grease.

hefavitzen

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Rock Hill
State
SC
Randy, you do some fabulous work. I hope my engine bay can look at least half as organized as yours does!

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Dielectric grease works fine.

This. I've learned from ATV's that you put dielectric grease on EVERYTHING electrical.

I use cheap marine terminals from Walmart on top posts of my Optima for winch hookup (and disconnect the + wire when not in use to keep anyone from monkeying with my winch) and have the ignition on the side hookups.

ingenio

Scrambler Enthusiast
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Juarez Chih
State
MX

I appreciate the help!

Hi,
if you want a turn key solution and/or need advice on these matters I suggest you contact Jon Kelley ( he is a vendor in the NAXJA forum, "5-90" is his username, search NAXJA for references).
He can supply you with a high quality set up for your needs.
Last year I upgraded the stock cables in my XJ with cables/marine terminals from him....great upgrade from stock....recommended.

check his web page.
http://www.kelleyswip.com/electric.html

good luck...

Last edited: