• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Battery

Wayne

Legacy Registered User
City
Cape Coral
State
FL
What battery would anyone recommend for the inline 6. The Jeep is in FL if it make a difference. Not sure what cracking AMPs to use.
Thank You.
Wayne.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
I'm still quite happy with my Bosch Platinum battery (Group 34) from Pep Boys. Probably the best AGM out there for the price. Well made with plenty of juice (770 CCA) and a 4 year replacement warranty!.

BOSCH-BATTERY-34-770BAGM.jpg

Last edited:

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
I've had a Walmart everstart in mine for 8 years, 3 of them in the Arizona desert where average battery lives are <2yrs.

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
I have a dual set-up, and bought Optima red-tops. They were probably the first batch that was made in Mexico, and they started to fail on me within two years. As of two years ago, they wouldn't hold enough of a charge to EVER start the Jeep, and I had to use my booster-box to start it whenever I was going to move it or drive anywhere, expecting that I'd simply never turn the engine off. I always had jumper cables.

In my Subaru, I have an Interstate battery that is now 11 years old and still works like a champ. I threw in the towel and replaced the red-tops with two Group 34 Interstate batteries from Costco for the CJ.

If I had the cash, I'd grab the X2 Power Premium from Batteries+Bulbs. They have been getting rave reviews up here, but that's like $750 in batteries for me.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
If I had the cash, I'd grab the X2 Power Premium from Batteries+Bulbs. They have been getting rave reviews up here, but that's like $750 in batteries for me.
We put one of these in my son’s J-10, it’s doing great with the high compression 360 and sitting a lot. Great warranty too.

CJ7Pilot

BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
I'm a fan of Sears Die-Hard.

Their high end batteries are expensive, but they're reliable.

With the one warranty issue I had, they replaced it, no questions asked.

That said, I live a 1/2 mile from a Sears auto center, so it's an easy exchange... as long as it doesn't crap out in the woods somewhere.... :cheers:

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Unfortunately the way things are going for Sears they might be the ones that are left out in the woods and crap out. It's a rare thing that I ever go to Sears anymore, and only then maybe to look at tools or exchange a life time warranty item, and the new replacements are not made as well as the 30-60 year olds I have, some that were my dad's .

Moabite

CJ-8 Member
City
Moab
State
UT
I've been running single or dual Odyssey batteries in every vehicle I've owned for many years. I've never had a problem with any of them...so that's what I'll keep using. I installed the 34-PC1500 in the Scrambler when I re-bought it a couple of years ago. Expensive but worth it, in my opinion.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Just got back from the Zone with a Duraspark Gold I think it is for my daughters Camry. Had one years ago in my jeep and lasted 9 years. This one is replacement for 3 years then prorated for a total of 5 years

YJ-8

Basic User
City
Austin
State
TX
I 2nd the Odyssey, have 1 in my Jeep and its great. (I think may crank the motor at idle rpm :) ) Replaced a yellow top Optima.
Also a Sears Di-Hard Platinum is excellent (if you can find one-- also made by Odyssey), other die hards are not the same as the Platinum.

YJ-8

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Die Hard Platinum has not been available for a few years now (they were great batteries). Aren't Odyssey batteries made by EnerSys Energy Products?