• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Belizeit's 1984 CJ-7 Engine Swap/Upgrade

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
In regards to sniper install ,did you guys up the fuel supply line size from 5/16 to 3/8?
No, I left it at 5/16". I run both my Mopar MPI Scramblers with 5/16", no problems. I think 3/8" is really only necessary on a V8 :twocents:

ag4ever

Average Nut
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
Sniper EFI is not going to add significant horsepower, best case I see the 258 putting out 150 HP. Since 5/16” line can generally support 250 HP in an EFI setup, I see no reason to upsize the stock lines. This would be under full throttle high rpm application. That happens so rarely in a Jeep, I doubt 1/4” lines would be a power restriction. IMHO.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Quick simple fix: T5/T4 use a different reverse light switch then the T176. One is NC, one is NO. The wrong switch was installed in this transmission, so the lights would not work in reverse, but they worked in every other gear including neutral!!

20221110_173630.jpg

So, all the column stuff works, BUT sometimes the Jeep will still not turn off with the key. All other ignition switch controled items shut down EXCEPT the Sniper and the MSD ignition. No big deal, diode is on the way, will install it on the brown alternator wire. This is a some what common issue with some fuel injection/ignition set ups. The MSD 6AL actually includes a diode. A little bit of current will back feed down the alternator wire. Not a lot, but enough to keep the ECU/MSD on.

On the stiff clutch, maybe a solution.

On a stock CJ, and stock YJ (1987 - 1990, later years could be different), the clutch master cylinders are a hair small then the slave cylinder:

CJ Master - 13/16
CJ Slave - 7/8

YJ Master - 11/16
YJ Slave - 3/4

So, I went to NAPA and spent $32.00 on a 1990 YJ clutch master cylinder:

20221110_180148.jpg

Top to bottom:

OEM CJ (replacement)
Novak 3/4" MC
NAPA 1990 YJ

20221110_180143.jpg

The YJ unit bolted right into place, no issues.

And, the clutch is much easier to push down.

I have too much play at the slave cylinder right now, need to tighten this up. The clutch works perfectly, but all the action is at the floor and 2" off floor. Once I tighten up the slave cylinder, it should be perfect.

Not going to say this is a cure all just yet until after I adjust the slave cylinder. But, it is working great now, almost as easy to work the clutch as the stock CJ AMC 4 cylinder set up.

IF this slightly small master cylinder works out, Wilwood makes a single cylinder master cylinder that should bolt up to a CJ, just a little bit of work on the pedal end: Wilwood GS Compact Integral Master Cylinder 260-15097 (.70", 11/16" is .6875 so close enough). The Wilwood has an integral reservoir, not the crappy plastic type like the parts stores carry. It cost around $80, but might be the ticket.

I am NOT a hydraulic expert, so I can not tell you why a slightly smaller MC in comparison to the slave makes it easier to push in the clutch :shrug:

All I know is that AMC/Chrysler did it this way, and the clutch pedal is easy to push. Personally, I prefer my mechanical linkage. It is easy to push down and works. I do go trail riding, never have had the linkage fall to pieces (I am using heim jointed rods, but stock bell crank). IF I had tires bigger then 35" and played with the big boys on +4' tall boulders and had one ton axles, I can see the hydraulic option making sense. But for me and mine, and my use, the OEM mechanical linkage works :twocents:

ag4ever

Average Nut
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
Richmond
State
TX
I am NOT a hydraulic expert, so I can not tell you why a slightly smaller MC in comparison to the slave makes it easier to push in the clutch :shrug:

Same principle as a hydraulic jack. Small hydraulic cylinder is easy to compress, but takes a much larger stroke to convert into higher force but with much less stroke.

ED143DB6-A919-4916-83FF-C5EE803E32A8.jpeg

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
So, the smaller clutch master cylinder did help with how hard the clutch pedal is, but still not as light as the OEM AMC 4 cylinder set up. I would say that the mechanical linkage is easier to operate. It is better, not sure if it can be made super soft??

I have been driving this one around:

20221113_135649.jpg

And I put it to work!!!!!!!

20221113_160946.jpg

That's it for now :thumbsup:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
Finally added a diode on the OEM alternator excite wire, shuts off instantly/perfectly each and every time now:

20221117_180638.jpg

Pulled the tachometer out, Googled VDO tachometer DIP switch settings, found something that looked similar, VDO tach now matches Sniper tach, easy fix:

20221117_183523_HDR.jpg

That's it for now :wave:

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
And just like that, It was back home under the roof safe and sound. To think a few months ago I was wondering if my Jeep would ever go down the road again. I was out looking and contemplating something else to drive around for after retirement road trips. Raymond was so easy to work with. Thanks again Raymond. A little driving and then maybe some axle maintenance and a few other things needing attention and I should be ready for the road. 0981C23D-37BE-4337-8CBE-FB10E7CE9380.jpeg

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
So wish I could bring my CJ8 down to him but it's not in the budget(assuming he would even want to). Sucks not having a garage to work in and a township that watches what you do in your driveway(2 issues in the past, last one involved court because the way they worded their notice🤬).

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
Down here I would say a garage is a must unless you have a hard top. Even then it would take a beating with all the weather. That is the only reason mine has lasted. Mine is fairly small but manageable

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Down here I would say a garage is a must unless you have a hard top. Even then it would take a beating with all the weather. That is the only reason mine has lasted. Mine is fairly small but manageable
I have a garage, full of stuff. I did paint my first CJ8 in it. Had to do right side, let it dry, jack up and move against other wall and paint other side. Did axle swap on my. Brother's CJ7 and had to take axles out the side people door.

Belizeit

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
River Ridge
State
La
A070BF5C-9971-4208-8C2C-9DBA14C7195C.jpeg. This picture is for you guys up north that have your Jeep salted away for the winter. It’s a little cool driving around but still great top less weather since it’s been a little over 2 1/2 years since I have been able to.