• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Belt Squeal

1BADCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Silver City
State
NM
I have a belt squeal that I cant get rid of. When I first put in the 4.0L I had the problem, after trying every thing (including an engine compartment full of belt dressing) I bought a new belt, installed it and wala, problem was solved, so I thought. Since I heard nothing I felt it safe to wash the engine compartment.

I did so at the local car wash, just using the soap and rinse cycles. Well every since I washed it down I've got the squeal worse now than before. I try belt dressing and it squeals louder. I've tried the bar of soap, it lasts about 10 min. I've tightened, I've loosend. The only thing that gives it any relief is to pour water on the belt. Yes I know its because the slippage causes heat and the water cools, yada yada yada.

I've got a different PS pully and I'm going to try that, hope that works but I'm not sure, it doesnt seem to come from there.

Any one experiance this problem or know of it? Please let me know if you can think of anything not listed as tried already. Thanks fellas.

IRONHEAD380

82 CJ8/350/350turbo/NP208
belt squeal

i know what your going throught. i had the same problem about a year ago.and tryed all the stuff thats susposed to work.i talked to a buddy that goes wheeling sometimes (if his wife lets him) . gave me this stuff its like honey and the squeal goes right away. it comes in a small tube and its made for this problem .and havent heard it since.even after washing it down. ill see if i can get a hold of him and find out what it is. ill find out and get back
steve