• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Best carb for AMC 258

Wyatt1234

Basic User
City
Orange
State
TX
I feel like this question has been asked before, though I will ask anyway. Is the Carter carburaetor as evil as everyone claims it to be? I don't like like the expense and complexity of fuel injection. So is there a carb out there that works "better" than the carter. Or is my current Carter in my '82 Scrambler perfectly fine? I do go off road from time to time, but I don't do any serious rock crawling or any other major engine straining activity. Thanks.

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
If you're not having problems with the BBD, keep the BBD. If you have repeated problems with the BBD, the MC2100 or Weber (genuine Weber, not knock offs) are both options.

I ran a Weber for a long time. Loved the performance, but I couldn't keep mine in tune. Required retuning about every year.

Put an MC2100 on my green CJ in 2005, haven't touched it since. Ended up replacing the Weber with another MC2100 on my tan CJ. It runs like a top too.

Have an extra MC2100 to go on the Scrambler if the BBD ever starts getting really problemmatic, but as long as the BBD is running well, I'll leave it alone.

Jeeperdd

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
SOA Member
City
Gordonsville
State
VA
upgrade the ignition system and then open up the drip tube on the carter so they don't get clogged up and i will be fine. If you want more power upgrade the carb. my:twocents:

My green 83 that I use as a toy in the rocks has all the factory emissions and vacuum hoses and it does fine on most of the moderate stuff.

case6688

N_GA_HAYMAN
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Trenton
State
GA
have MC2100 on my 258 and been to Moab twice and does great. Had to adjust choke this past winter is first time I have touched it.

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
MC2100. Relatively cheap and easy upgrade. Your gas mileage may go down some...

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
When I used a stock carter I would take it apart once a year and clean it. I had zero issues with it by doing this and I never disliked this carb. Mine was the pre stepper motor style which I am sure made a big difference and I feel the later style is what gave this carb a bad name in the first place. The older style is no different than any other 2 barrel to me.

flashover604

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Lancaster
State
Oh
I just got done swapping an MC2100 onto my 258 last night. It came off of my hangar queen 75 cj5's 304. It's a 1.08. I got the jeep to START, but it runs horribly and smoke like nothing I've ever driven. I'm sure that the main jets are too large. They're 50s. I plan on picking up a couple 47s and swapping them in. As for the vacuum ports, I plugged every one except the large one on the rear drivers side which I have going to my brake booster and the front drivers side by the air mixture screw is going to my distributor vacuum advance. I took the choke from my BBD, reversed the coil inside, and fitted it to the mc2100 in place of the manual choke that was on the cj5. There was a port on the bottom of the choke that I plugged as well. It will start, but it runs really rough, REALLY ROUGH, and smokes like an old highball train.

Any help would be appreciated!

flashover604

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Lancaster
State
Oh
Sorry for the hi-jack... I'll post this on a separate thread. And now, back to your regularly scheduled forum...