Best top trail max II seats

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Hi all,

Has anyone here installed the best top trail max II front and rear seats in their rigs? Did you like them? How did they fit? All the brackets included? Durability report with gogs and kids? Any pics would be greatly enjoyed.

Thanks

Chamba

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I have them in my Scrambler. They were installed by a previous owner. I don’t think they were too old when I got it in 2010 though.

I don’t think they came with risers. The ones I had were stock. I replaced the driver side with a flip riser so I could access the are behind it.

I used to have seat covers on them so they have held up. But the driver seat has bad ripping at the outside bolster. I have used black duct tape to cover it. I have been looking to replace them, but it really is not at the top of my priority.

They are comfortable enough. But the seat bottom may be thicker than stock seats. So the steering wheel (non-tilt) rubs the tops of my thighs some. I have no problem with it though.

Would I get them again? No. I was looking at the waterproof bestop seats covered in neoprene. I run without a top from April through October so they get a lot of weather hitting them.

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Thank you. I'm 6'6" so that's a bit of a worry. I took the flip bit out of my old seats for more room, so sitting higher would be no good.

Sounds like they wear well though.

sdsupilot

CJ-8 Member
CJ-8.com Member
City
OKC
State
OK
I am 6'2 and have the vinyl trailmax II seats. More comfortable than stock but are taller. They also lean back a bit more. There is a write-up on cutting down the drivers seat mount. I think you would need to do that. I am a bit shorter and needed to remove my drivers side visor to see stop lights. Eventually I will cut my seat mounts down, or fab new ones all together. It just hasn't bugged me enough to do it yet.

DRILLROD

LIFETIME
City
Rose Hill
State
NC
I am 6'4" and have the Bestop seats in one of my scramblers and factory seats in the other. The one with factory seats gives me a lot more head room and leg and belly room. I am in the process of putting factory seats in my other one now and taking the Bestops out.

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Oh, that's not good. Do you think your bestop seats would work if you cut the mounts down 2"? I did rally like the look of the bestop seats but if i can't drive it then what's the point....

gr8dain

Scrambler Junkie
LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
At 6’6”, you will sit high. I am 6’ even and I would not want my sight line any higher. If I were taller, I would definitely want to cut the risers down.

I heard that seats from a cavelier/sunfire work well as do those from an explorer. Yet I have not sat in any in a Scrambler to validate height.

DRILLROD

LIFETIME
City
Rose Hill
State
NC
You could shorten the seat risers and that would solve the height problem but would not solve the leg room problem. the backing is thicker as well as the bottom and therefore pushes you further forward in the seat. However, the seats are very comfortable. They just take to much room for me.

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
This is sounding worse and worse. I may need to fabricate whole new brackets just to lower AND move the seats aft. I'm committed now though....I already bought new spice coloured seat belts so I've got to get rid of the black seats....

CJ7Pilot

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
This is sounding worse and worse. I may need to fabricate whole new brackets just to lower AND move the seats aft. I'm committed now though....I already bought new spice coloured seat belts so I've got to get rid of the black seats....
Are you running a half cab?

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
No. I have the bulkhead but it's not installed. I have a full soft top and full length bikini top. It's a fair weather cruiser only. I use my diesel for wet days and driving to work.

Last edited:

CJ7Pilot

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Good, so you can slide your seat to the rear, and it will also move down, due to the angle of the seat bracket.

With a half-cab, the sliding space is limited, because the seat back runs in to the rear window. I went to low-back seats to get past this problem.

With a full top, you've got plenty of room to work with!

Chamba

City
Vero Beach
State
FL
Ah. I saw you went low back in your cage write up. I only skimmed your posts but I wondered why you went low back. Now it makes sense.

I bought a rock hard rear family cage to hold up the full bikini but it hasn't arrived yet. We're you happy with their stuff?

CJ7Pilot

LIFETIME
CJ-8.com Member
City
Yuba City
State
CA
Yep, I'm very happy with it! Just don't tighten anything up until everything is right where you want it. :thumbsup: